1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, May 6, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

For the first time since they started keeping rankings in the ATP and WTA, no American man or women is in the top 10, which is a pretty big deal. Other countries are just moving forward at a torrid pace in this sport, and the U.S. has been left behind (at least in singles. Doubles and team tennis still are doing OK).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-05/no-american-men-or-women-in-tennis-top-10-as-serena-williams-drops-out.html

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm serious, and don't call me Shirley.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Aside from maybe boxing, no sport has fallen further in terms of public interest in my lifetime than tennis.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

What about horse racing? Aside from the Kentucky Derby, I don't think too many people follow the other two "big" races.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since when does one yell at a tennis match?

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I love tennis, but the Americans are pretty non-descript, especially on the men's side. Thank goodness for the utter transcendence of Federer and Nadal, who will continue to inspire and captivate even as age dulls them from transcendent to excellent to good.

Draft saved Draft deleted