1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can own a newspaper for three dental implants and an old pickup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Oregon publisher is selling his weekly paper for some vitals. Line forms on the left!

This is your last chance to buy a 105-year-old weekly newspaper in southeast Oregon. I have low- and no-down contract offers, but that’s not what I want.

Actually, what I want is a fully restored old pickup, a mid-’70s Volkswagen or an ’80s Toyota, to tow behind an RV. That and three dental implants. If there is an oral surgeon/car collector/journalist out there, we can trade.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Weekly newspaper for sale

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That ad's awesome. I also liked this part:

The good news: We’re back in the black after losing $13,000 last year as the recession bottomed out. While a loss is a loss, it has to be qualified with the fact that a hands-on owner (I’ve been an absentee) would keep between $26,000 and $61,000 in their pocket from wages paid to part-timers, most of whom are eager and/or expecting to leave.

Translation: You're buying a paper that hasn't made money in years, but might scratch out a profit if you do all the work yourself!

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Maybe Dr. Walter Palmer is interested.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is awesome. I want a piece of the action.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The paper has been sold. As far as I know, no mid-1980s Toyota pickups were involved.

6. SBR

SBR Member

I'm surprised this thread didn't get more attention considering how many regular posters here are experts on how to run a newspaper.

Mauve_Avenger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted