1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can Only Choose One Part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Jul 4, 2007.

?

You can only subscribe to one of these magazines for a year, which do you choose?

1. Sports Illustrated

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. The Sporting News

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. ESPN The Magazine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. GQ

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Esquire

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. The New Yorker

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

As it suggests, you only get to choose one of the magazines above. Which is it and why?

I know there is a must have mag thread, but it lacks a survey.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

With all respect to our Jonesy at Esquire, I've really gotten into The New Yorker during the last year.

The New Yorker.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Add: I'd add Atlantic Monthly and Harper's to the list.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be honest, I let my SI subscription lapse, don't get Sporting News, hate ESPN the Magazine, don't get GQ or the New Yorker so ESQUIRE wins!

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't see Swank on your list.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

None of the above. I'd stick with Newsweek.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. Your paper's dropping the AP wire. Newsweek and SportsJournalists.com will be your only links to current events.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I picked SI - I have a hard time slogging through an issue of ESPN and the type is too small to be read while on an treadmill - plus I figure if something big is going on in the world, whether it be pop culture (thanks Mike Silver) or a tragedy (9/11 or VTech) they will find a way to shoehorn it into their magazine.

9. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

You know, it's funny. I always liked SI growing up, then went into a lull when I didn't like it all that much. Then I got ESPN The Magazine because I subscribed to INsider, mostly for Olney's blog and Gammons's updates, and got the mag for free. For a while, I read it too. But now, it just sits around, and since I've been trying to do more and more work on features, I like SI more. In fact, I like going to get a haircut just so I can read it.

So I pick SI. I'm not too into the news/politics/outside stuff to consider the others.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Who is the one vote for GQ? It's not me.

For the record, I love GQ (this coming from a guy who wears jeans or cargo shorts, a t-shirt and hat every day!).

11. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Tough call between Esquire, New Yorker and SI. But I don't get SI now and Esquire's a monthly, so, the New Yorker.
    On a side note, what would ESPN the Mag's circ be if people didn't get it with ESPN Insider? Like Eagleboy, that's the only reason it comes to my house, and it mostly sits around. I'll just watch Sportscenter, I don't need to read it, thank you.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I chose the New Yorker, by an hair over Esquire, just because I figured in a year's worth you'd get such a wide variety of topics covered, not just fashion or whatnot, and the uniform quality of the writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted