1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can move in next month. Oh, wait. Nevermind

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scouter, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Scouter

Scouter Member

OK, I need to vent about this.

The girlfriend and I decide to move in together. We hear about this place that will be available at the end of the summer and check it out. First place we looked at. Absolutely perfect. It's an upstairs apartment, tons of space, fireplace, refinished hardwood floors, good neighborhood, great price. The landlord lives on the bottom floor and has kept the apartment, exterior of the building and yard in great shape. We couldn't dream of a better place.

Landlord says we're just the type of couple she was hoping would move in. A couple weeks later she leave a voicemail that says our references checked out OK and tells us when the place would be available ... but there's one snag. She apparently promised a family friend's daughter that if she ever needed a place and the apartment was available she'd give it to her. Turns out the family friend's daughter is interviewing for a job in the area and if she gets it she'll give the apartment to her. She'll call us in a week or two and let us know what's up.

So, of course, the landlord leaves a voicemail today and says she's giving the place to this other chick. So, basically, we asked this lady about the apartment, went to look at it, and she told us when we could move in BEFORE EVER MENTIONING THIS OTHER PERSON. HOW DO YOU NOT MENTION THAT FOR THREE FUCKING WEEKS? Needless to say, we're both a little pissed. But hey, at least she said she'd pass along our info to anyone she knows who might have an apartment available ... so we got that going for us.

Oh, and I got into an accident with my girlfriend's car last week while we were out of town for a wedding. FML.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moral of the story: Give up on relationships and live alone forever. [/bitter]

Seriously though, that blows. Not much else I can say. :(

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Scouter: That really bites. Perhaps the blue hair didn't realize how this would turn things upside down for you guys.

Glad you (apparently) weren't injured in the crash.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Sorry to hear that you were dicked over, Scouter. Hopefully that woman is true with her word and is able to find you two another nice place.

5. Scouter

Scouter Member

It's not the end of the world because I have enough time left on my current lease to find a new place. I just don't think we'll find one as nice as that, which is the biggest bummer.

And I wasn't injured in the crash, thanks. The car ... notsomuch.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Look at it this way: This flake landlord would have fucked you sooner rather than later. Better to get it sooner and before you signed a lease.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Plus, it's just me, I wouldn't want to be living that close to my landlord anyway.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

That seems to be my M.O. the rest of my life.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

All you had to do scouter was say "We'll take it. How much deposit do you want right now to hold it?"
    If you take people's word for something like that without getting a firm commitment from them, you're likely to get burned as you did.

10. Scouter

Scouter Member

We told her that the day we looked at the apartment, when she never made any mention of possibly giving it to someone else. She wanted to look at our references before we made a deposit.

She calls a week later and says they're all good. Says when we'd be able to move in and THEN says someone else might be in the picture.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

So was this a week after you looked at it, or THREE FUCKING WEEKS as you said in your original post?

My point is, this woman had no obligation or commitment to rent the place to you and decided to give it to someone else.
    Yeah, it sucks. But sometimes life sucks and you move on.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That sucks, Scouter.

But despite his charmingly abrasive personality, spnited gives solid advice. When you want a place, get out the checkbook. She cashes your deposit, place is yours, no matter what happens.

Good luck finding a place, and congrats on the domesticity. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted