1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can keep Vick; we don't want him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

The CFL no longer accepts players under suspension by the NFL. We'll call it the Tricky Ricky Rule ...

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Football/2007/08/23/4440181-sun.html

Forget about Michael Vick playing in the Canadian Football League.

Vick's speed and sprint-out style look ideal for the CFL, but the Atlanta Falcons quarterback at the centre of dogfighting charges will not be allowed to play in Canada if -- as expected he is suspended by the NFL.

A rule approved by the CFL in the off-season bars clubs from signing players who are under suspension in the NFL. The rule was adopted in response to the Toronto Argonauts' signing last season of running back Ricky Williams, who was serving a one-year suspension for drugs.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to wait until Vick enters his plea in court Monday before deciding whether to suspend the quarterback. He has been barred from the Falcons' training camp, and Goodell has asked the club not to take any action until the league makes its ruling.

It is uncertain whether an NFL suspension would run concurrently with any prison term or take effect after he is released.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd say good for the CFL. If an athlete gets suspended for whatever reason in one country, they shouldn't be able to play in another.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

... his deportation to Canada and that country's subsequent refusal to accept him....

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Discussion at my shop last night predicts he lands in the af2 at some point ... if not the AFL.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ok but only if you take Celine Dion back.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Fuck that ... no way, Jose!

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

The CFL is BENEATH Micheal Vick.

8. Armchair_QB

Then ya gotta take Vick. It's only fair.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Now, about those MacKenzie brothers ... Think we could send you Barry Bonds for them? He's as big as them put together, so we'd consider it a 1-for-1 trade

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I had successfully avoided the details of what was done with the dogs until I read the column under fire in JTO ... the man needs to die a firey, painful death. We will take Celine.

You already have them, for heaven's sake! They busted through the border a long time ago ...

11. Armchair_QB

If you don't want to take Celine just show us your rack and we'll call it even...

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Sigh ... I'm not allowed to.

Draft saved Draft deleted