1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can file this one under "You reap what you sow"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

We're all well aware of the SE opening in Martinsville. But according to the Colbert pipeline, both writers will also put in their notice this week, meaning that on August 15, the Bulletin will not have a sports department.
    I'd like to think that almost anywhere else, the entire department would not bail on the paper at the same time, but the folks there do nothing to inspire any kind of loyalty among the staff (they don't even give job references -- just one of their ridiculous company policies). It seems to me that when you treat your staff like garbage, that it's just a matter of time until something like this happens.
    Now, I consider myself a fairly decent human being, and I really don't enjoy it when bad things happen to people. But I must say, it will be increasingly difficult for me to withold the laughter as August 15 draws near.

2. The paper will throw someone else in there by then and will get along just fine. Remember quality is your priority, not necessarily theirs'.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

They have no one to throw in. They are short-handed on the news desk and none of their news reporters know anything about sports. They're reluctant to hire from outside the area, and they don't pay interview expenses. It's going to be unbelievably tough for them to pull this off.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Wow, just wow.

5. It is a stretch to think that there's at least a half-dozen guys and/or girls on this board typing up their resumes right now?

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Maybe not, but who wants to work at a paper where you're the only one on staff? I'd think they would have to make at least two of the hires at the same time, because no one wants to be the only one on staff (especially there).

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey, Ginny, call me and offer me $40,000, and pay my moving expenses, and I'll come down.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

They probably have $40,000 in mind for two positions.

9. Dollarhite

Dollarhite New Member

Colbert, you are my new hero! I'd like my first post to contain my full hatred for the Bulletin, and as a former employee who was shat upon for four years, I have quite a bit to say, but I'm in a good mood today. I refuse to let Ginny (Hitler) Wray, ruin any more of my good days! ;D Maybe later, though! Hee Hee

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hmm. If I came and did all three jobs singlehandedly, think the Plain-Dealer would have to hire me?

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fix'd

Now I REALLY want to interview for the SE job.

So, Ginny, looks to me as though you have a little sit-i-ation ...

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For $40K, I'd do all 3 positions. Shit, I'm designing all 3 sections of our paper ON TOP of being, you know, the one-man sports editor. I'm doing the job of 6 people right now for less.

So, Ginny, darlin', how 'bout that call?

Draft saved Draft deleted