1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You are not worthy -- a beer thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 12, 2014.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Certainly part of one that Kimmich claimed. And you cite the $500 figure as if it had any meaning.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Whatever, dude.

I have a can of Heady and a bottle of Elder that will be tasted tonight. You won't bring me down, Debbie.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

A beer club raffle, eh? Do you guys do something like that often?

5. three_bags_full

Yeah, we do it every month. Some months it's a Brew Your Own subscription or a beer glass. Last month it was an AHA membership. Yesterday it was a bottle of Pliney :D

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's true. I misremembered based on a two-month-old story and forgot to update it when I found it.

I will thank God every day for you.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I was going to guess Falstaff and Black Label.

8. three_bags_full

Well, I just completed the taste test -- back to back. Heady wins by two touchdowns.

They are both amazing beers, obviously.

Both have amazing, through-the-roof hop profiles, which produce extremely light bittering notes, but flavors and aromas that were off the charts due to their extensive use of PNW hops that produce citrus and piney notes -- most specifically, their heavy dry-hopping techniques. I don't know much about Russian River's Elder hop usage (but RR's recipe is out there, while The Alchemist is tight-lipped), but we do know Kimmich relies heavily on the "C" hops and Amarillo Gold, all U.S. varieties that produce heavy citrus and resinous qualities. Both beers are obviously dry-hopped for quite some time with the same hops each use for flavor and aroma additions.

The Pliny had a slightly more bitter edge on first taste. Both bitters faded fast, and the Heady felt like it was brewed with much softer water (WATER TREATMENT IS IMPORTANT, HOMEBREWERS!), which seemed to file down the bitter edge. We've gone hop crazy in the past few years, but it's not needed. A good beer doesn't need to burn off your tastebuds. Don't be confused; neither of these beers did that. They were both almost perfectly bittered.

Where Heady pulled away for me was the aroma, and it was most likely a product of what The Alchemist asks you to do with Heady -- drink it from the can.

Although I use a proper IPA glass when tasting, there was no comparison. With each drink, Heady's citrus and piney aromas flooded the nose. I even found myself squeezing the can to push more aroma into my nose. It was much easier to cup the can to my nose and continue to enjoy the aroma with each drink than to struggle to find Pliny's aroma from the glass, even when agitated.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly won't pass on Pliny next time, but for my money, Heady's at the top.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Now you're just rubbing it in.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

11. three_bags_full

We have begun the process of culturing the Conan yeast. Really isn't hard. Save an inch or so from the bottom of each can and then build a few starters. Then, you'll have enough to brew a batch, which produces more yeast than you can imagine.

The hop schedule there isn't new. You can find clones that use one very similar. Most clones I've found use Cascade, as well.

I'm sure we'll be brewing a Heady clone 'round these parts real soon.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

HopSlam is out soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted