1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You are looking live ... at the end of Burnt Hamburger's career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 25, 2017.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Brent Musburger "retiring." Last game on Jan. 31. No doubt a shove out the door for the Sugar Bowl debacle.

Not shockingly, moving to Las Vegas to open a start a sports handicapping business with his family.

Brent Musburger is retiring from sportscasting at age 77

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"Debacle" is putting that mildly.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What did he say that was so bad?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Basically the same stuff about Mixon that the NFL will be stuffing down our throats in a couple years.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He basically said that what Mixon did was wrong but he's pulling for him getting the most of his second chance. Was there more?

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'd have to go back and listen, but didn't he praise him as a "great kid" or something like that? Just enough to piss off the internet.

Regardless, Musberger's style always grated on me, so I'll be glad not to hear him calling anymore games that I want to watch.

georgealfano likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hasn't he been building a sports handicapping business for decades now?

9. LongTimeListener

He did say what a quality individual Mixon was. It was a little thick. The bigger problem was he went back to it after Twitter erupted the first time. You can't respond to every grievance and grudge on social media.

Unless you're the president.

service_gamer, Liut, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

What he said first:

“He’s just one of the best, and let’s hope, given a second chance by Bob Stoops and Oklahoma, let’s hope this young man makes the most of his chance and goes on to have a career in the National Football League."

What he said to defend himself:

“Some people were upset when I wished this young man well at the next level. Let me make something perfectly clear: What he did with that young lady was brutal, uncalled for, he’s apologized, he was tearful. He got a second chance. He got a second chance from (Oklahoma head coach) Bob Stoops. I happen to pull for people with second chances, okay? Let me make it absolutely clear that I hope he has a wonderful career and he teaches people with that brutal, violent video, okay?”

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

He didn't really phrase the first volley well.

Then he came back for more later in the game. That second volley was the finishing touch.

12. LongTimeListener

All in all, though, his Katherine Webb fuck fantasy was more disturbing than his Mixon comments.

Draft saved Draft deleted