1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You are cordially invited to the Writer's Workshop to discuss narrative writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KVV, Feb 3, 2007.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Not that I'm advocating this sort of behavior, but a paper I know of recently ran a 25-part fictional serial about a dog. Word is, people read it.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've made my point ad nausea. If there is a series worth running, run it.
    But, I'm telling you, unless it is great storytelling or an investigative piece, the average reader isn't going to read it.

The avid readers, yes. They will read anything we have to offer. But, we have those people already. My job is to attract the reader that only picks up our paper/section 3-4 times a week and make him/her a 5-7 times a week reader. Find smart stories that would attract new readers. Cover something that was considered fringe (X-games or UFC). Attack the website with audio, video and photobooks. I need new eyes. Old eyes. All eyes. That's my job.

Perhaps that sounds like auto-fellatio to you, but it really isn't. I/we have a large staff, and they're counting on me being right.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well, at least he/she finally got his/her lede right.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wonder if it smells like Frankenberry?

Draft saved Draft deleted