1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You and the Olympics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Nov 16, 2009.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

On one hand, I like reading about the best stories from the best writers. For instance, JoePoz's blog account of discovering and writing the Rulon Gardner story was excellent. I would want him or SL Price or someone like that relating those stories to me. Now, you don't need a flotilla of columnists and newspaper reporters from around the country to accomplish that, so it makes little sense if you're a newspaper to spend a whole bunch of money to send one or a couple people to do basically the same work the AP or another service can do. But I do still think there are stories worth telling from events like that, beyond the standard features you're bound to see written in a standard way.

2. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Chad Hedrick

3. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Neither Atlanta nor Dallas qualifies as a "big" paper, unless you've got a tiny birdcage.
    And as the Olympics exist for and are governed by TV, having print people show up constitutes a gargantuan waste of money.
    People who like the winter sports are out on snowboards on actual hills in February, not waiting for the carrier to hurl the latest drivel about how the VCOG or VOOC volunteers are wearing merry smiles and helping with bus stop directions, or whatever every columnist (except the ones who will google the rest of 'em from the apres ski lodge and write the same drivel a day late) offers in a self-congratulatory tone that disgusts and alarms.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Winter Olympics are a little different here in Boston, as a significant number of athletes on the team are from our circulation area. If a big city daily can't/won't cover locals in the Olympics, its reason for existing seems kind of tenuous to me.
    It's bad enough newspapers keeping looking for ways to say "we're not a big league operation." But there seems to be a lot of Stockholm Syndrome on this board among newspaper employees. Who needs the World Series? Who needs the Olympics? It all depends on paper size, I know, but I'm a city boy, so my frame of reference is big papers. And when big papers cut back on big events, they look small. And city readers don't like small.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

"People only give a shit about that sport every four years so it doesn't matter"

"No one cares about the Olympics any more"

"NBC and its sappy features suck and ruin everything"

"It's not like it used to be!!!"

Rinse and repeat and you have a perfect SJ topic every two years.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But how many locals do you need at the event to justify the expense?

Dallas, as AQB pointed out, had a skeleton driver (rider? racer? skeletoneer?) and a few NHLers playing hockey. Is that enough to justify it? What if it's only one athlete connected to your metro? Do you still send five or six people out there for that?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This argument can be made for any sporting event.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If I'm a big paper, I have a much easier time skipping the Olympics than I do the World Series, Final Four, Super Bowl, NBA Finals, and golf's major tourneys.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

How about just telling great stories that readers might actually want to read?

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Not me. CBC all the way. NBC is verboten when it comes to winter sports.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised only because it's an easy location to get to. When I covered the SLC Olympics we had more staffers there than any previous winter Olympics because it was in the US.

I'm stunned the Washington Post is only sending three.

That said, I don't care about the Winter Olympics and won't watch any of it other than the hockey.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why the hell would we want to do that? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted