1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You and the Olympics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Nov 16, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm still bitching about the three-point line, so why not?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why would Atlanta or Dallas send reporters to the Winter Olympics? Aside from hockey, what's the angle? Is there a bobsledder from the Metroplex I've not read about yet? A ski jumper from Marietta?

Yeah, yeah, I know the whole "big papers staff big events" mindset. But why waste money and resources covering the Winter Olympics when you're newspaper in a hot-weather town?

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

If it's that cold, i'm sure there'll be plenty of headlights flashing.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually there was a skeleton athlete from DFW who competed in 2006. He was the guy who broke his neck in that sledding accident after his competition ended.

And it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Stars will have players on four of the teams competing in Vancouver - USA, Canada, Sweden & Latvia.

5. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

One of the best speedskaters in last Olympics was from Houston area.

6. cranberry

Yes, practically a household name, too. Can you give us a hint?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Olympic coverage from Big City Columnist is so predictable. File "postcards from xxx," detailing the bad food, the tiny hotel rooms, the general helpfulness/suckitude of the host city. Spend one day at an obscure event and let the wisecracks fly ("my wife makes me sweep, I could be an Olympic curler!"). Get really lost one day and write about that. Hit the major events along with every other writer. File farewell column on last day talking more about the general helpfulness/suckitude of the host city.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

I totally know this one! Chad Hedrick

9. cranberry

Admit it. You've done this before.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't have turned that kind of gig down, but no.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The "ringheads" who cover this stuff regularly are full of themselves, too. Places I have worked, the squirreliest of them turn a twice every four years event into nearly a full-time role. Even though no one gives a hoot in between the Olympics.

If reasonable sports journalists can be debating the merits of staffing the World Series, the Super Bowl, the Final Four and other big events in mainstream sports, then this one really should be scrutinized hard by papers looking to save money. Even the "networking" claim (I've made it myself) about boots on the ground at big event doesn't hold up with these mostly-in-the-dark sports (except every 48 months).

And unlike the cleanup hitter of a Series participant, these athletes are way more accessible for phoners if the need arises to write about someone who grew up in the same area code. If the average reader cares at all in the first place.

The declining "prestige" factor to covering the Olympics doesn't make up for the cost and the irrelevance of it these days.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think covering the World Series is much more important. But I have heard the argument that the Winter Olympics coverage lures in "non-sports readers." Which to me always made as much sense as trying to make the real estate section more inclusive of homeless readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted