1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yippee — Oil tops $138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I found this interesting.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/06/news/economy/tully_oil_bust.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008060610

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Except buyers and sellers often ARE speculators that artificially set prices at speculative levels. Isn't that what causes bubbles?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm resigned to high gas prices. I've prepared to whatever point I can. I lucked out and got a house a mile from my office, and now, my wife has an equidistant job. Beyond work, I can curtail my driving and don't need a full tank everytime.

I'm more worried about non-vehicle energy prices than I am my car. At least I can control that.

That said ...

I'm on vacation in upstate New York and gas here is above $4. We were driving on I-87 to a lake, and on the way, I saw a station sign that had $3.84 gas. After I creamed my pants, I decided to take advantage.

The gas station was closed for remodeling and hadn't taken their sign down. Grrrr!

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When it gets over $4 a gallon at an Arco I'll worry......Holy Crap!!

This is some serious business, the price has gone up 100 Percent in the last eight years, is the highest ever even adjusted for inflation and I'm not getting a sense that anyone can do anything about it. I'm driving less and still it goes up.
    Nationalization anyone?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The story is half right. It's based on a flawed premise. It attributes the rise in price to all the right factors, but I don't know a person who knows what they are talking about who is saying that these prices are necessarily a permanent thing. That is the nature of markets. Price can go up based on market and economic factors and they can go down when those factors change. Current prices are the result of current market forces. If I knew where we are headed in the long-term--enough to say this is permanent--I could make guaranteed money. I can make an educated guess as to where things are headed in the next year or two. I'd even be willing bet on it, because it looks so clear. Every bit of money in the market is betting on it, too, so there isn't a ton of money to be made by betting on it.

Beyond that, who knows? Too many things can change.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Prices will rise until January 20th, 2009. Mark my words.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's probably better for your engine and fuel pump if you fill up at half a tank instead of filling TO half a tank. I did the latter for a while the last time prices spiked up, and the first time I put a full tank in, it pretty much freaked my fuel pump out (the car would refuse to start after the gas light came on (and it wasn't empty), and it wouldn't start again until I put a quarter-tank in). I would later discover fuel pumps were already defective in that particular vehicle, but still.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I can afford $4 gas. That's not my problem. What I can't afford is the inevitable spike in the price of everything because of the cost of diesel fuel, which is the fuel that delivers pretty much everything you buy to wherever you buy it.

When stuff stops making its way from Point A to Point B because the truck drivers lose money every time they load their trucks, that's when the real problems start.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

. . . and don't think it can't happen.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Call the powers that be the Liar's Club.

May they all burn in Hades.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Anyone who didn't throw their investments into commodities in January to offset the fuckjob their 401Ks have absorbed, well, just missed not a boat, but a luxury cruise liner.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For the first time, I saw gas reach $4 -- $4.09 to be exact -- where I live. Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.