1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yippee — Oil tops $138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Wow.

2. Sorry for not thinking Armageddon has arrived. This, too, shall pass.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Well I feel better.

4. Maybe you should get a fallout shelter ready.

5. Grimace

Grimace Guest

See, now you're sending conflicting signals.

6. No, I mean maybe YOU should get a fallout shelter ready, judging from your reaction. Not me.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Why, what's going to happen to me?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Easy. Demand is high. Supply can't meet that demand. The disparity between supply and demand is increasing, so prices are going up. Get used to it. I'll bet anyone here, including all the people I engaged on that other thread, that we see $150 by the end of the year. Same thing I have said over and over again on these threads. The market has already factored in at least that price, and is expecting higher prices than that beyond.

I await the "It's the speculators!" nonsense. Without those speculators, the hedgers--the airlines and anyone else exposed to oil prices in their businesses, which that oil analyst is talking about--who are trying to hedge now at $138 because they are anticipating $200 prices a year from now, have no market with which to buy themselves whatever protection they can purchase. You have no commodities market without speculation and it actually provides a bit of stability to the economy, even if it is a shitty economy that is going into the tank.

Hell, if I was an airline, I'd be clawing away at everyone else in the market to try to lock in $138 for the future. It beats the hell out of waking up one day and finding your operating costs have doubled overnight. Better to get hammered gradually than all at once.

Speculation doesn't create the price. Buyers and sellers do.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Supply and demand creates a spike of 13+ percent in two days?

Guess again.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This hasn't been a 2 day phenomenon. And I'm not guessing.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is why I feel that an actual attack on Iran, by either the U.S. or Israel, is unlikely. Some guy shoots his mouth off and the price jumps over $10 in a day. Actual shooting, and the price might jump $100 in a day.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And in other happy news, the Dow dropped 395 points today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.