1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yikes on USA Today front - 10/30

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by Gutter, Oct 30, 2007.

1. donaugust

donaugust Member

Not surprised, considering the paper doesn't want its designers to have actual Macs on their desk. Can't imagine being a designer there. No freedom, no creativity, no photoshop. Spare me.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How do you design without Photoshop?

3. Why did the Newseum take the link down?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Here's the page, for those who haven't seen it:

[​IMG]

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Geez, you'd think they would have time to notice that late and just use the actual photo instead.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Obvisouly, it looks like someone knocked it out with a chainsaw.
    But, it's got to be a Photoshop path or clipping path error.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's my thought. There is no way it looked like that on the designer's screen. Unless someone didn't care that it looked like that and was trying to prove some sort of point.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Here's what I bet happened: Someone finished the cutout but forgot to save it, either because Photoshop crashed before they could save it, or because they plum forgot to save it.

Same person probably plopped it on the page without realizing the issue. Then, by the time it got to the press, it was too late.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm also guessing that the cutout was done on a Mac, the pagination system PC-based.
    Reading and cross-platform translation lost. Nonetheless, ouch.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

But I'd think a paper of USA Today's size would have a late-check person (people) and the poorly-cut out cutout could have been corrected?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Also, with USA Today, they're printing at oodles of plants around the country, so I doubt they have a paper-rolls-off-the-press check person. I'm sure pre-press folks caught it at some plants, but then at that point, I'm presuming you have to screw it, since the people in Springfield are responsible.

12. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted