1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

yikes! no more pizza for me...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Oct 28, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

cholestorol is at a career-high 288. yowza! cheerios, oatmeal and steamed veggies, here i come. so long, pizza, ice cream and red meat. at least until the number gets back to near 200.

at least my ekg, stress test and other annual physical results were good. whew!

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of cooking with ground turkey. That's how I (mostly) cut red meat out of my diet. You can get something like 99% lean ground turkey and do the same things you'd do with ground beef (tacos, burgers, etc.) a lot healthier.
    Sadly, that's the only tip I can come up with.
    Good luck to you!

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A very good tip. Turkey burgers are an excellent substitute for hamburgers, and you can do some awesome things to them on the grill that make them just as tasty. Turkey dogs, same deal.

Frozen yogurt, if you must indulge, instead of ice cream. Keep the toppings to a minimum.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ground turkey is a sad, sad replacement for ground beef but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. anybody ever discovered a veggie burger that's acceptable?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

eat lots of yogurt and fruits and veggies, but especially yogurt.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Go to Trader Joe's. Get the turkey burger patties straight from the butcher shop. I just got four huge patties for $3, made two double burgers out of them last night. Delicious.

I assure you, they're not a "sad, sad replacement," unless you're more concerned with the idea of eating beef vs. how it actually tastes.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

is trader joe's a grocery store? tried turkey burgers before and the taste and texture (turkey seemed grittier) just didn't do it for me.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. Albertson's sells pretty good ones, too. It's not exactly the same texture, of course, but it still tastes like a good burger.

I wouldn't recommend any of the pre-packaged shit, such as Boca Burgers, etc. Make your own and season 'em the way you like.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Right there with you. I eat red meat maybe two or three times a month now when I go out for a nice steak, a Fuddruckers burger or some lamb.

At home it's all ground chicken or turkey.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Every morning, breakfast is a bowl of Apple-cinnamon Cheerios and four slices of turkey bacon...

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I'm surprised I'm alive at 44, don't think I will be at 50 and it would be a miracle if I made it to 60.

Pizza is my fourth meal. I might as well go down fighting.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Sorry shockey.

I'm a hell of a lot closer to 3 bills than I am to 2, exercise very seldom (or than riding in a golf cart) and don't particularly eat healthy - had a Totino's sausage and chocolate chip cookies for lunch, Strawberry-Kiwi smoothie and boneless chicken wings for dinner.

Got my latest blood work back on Monday. Cholesterol level? 118.

It's all genetics, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted