1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yikes! Fatal Attraction Mistress Hits Former Mets GM Steve Phillips

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Oct 21, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Yikes! Fatal Attraction Mistress Hits Former Mets GM Steve Phillips

Was just wondering about that. He's gonna get clobbered in the divorce, and I really don't see him getting another GM job, at this point.

Dude really threw a lot away for some tail.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He wasn't getting another GM job anyway.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Right, but what does he do, now?

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

MLB Network in two years.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

But if you are the MLB Network, why bring him in? If he so much as looks down a PA's blouse, you can get sued for hiring a known sexual harasser. He was pedestrian as an analyst. How can he possibly be worth the risk? Is MLBN planning a fake news conference show?

7. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

If Rob Dibble can be an analyst for the Washington Nationals (not putting him and Phillips in the same boat off the field), Steve Phillips can find work with some regional sports network, at some point.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I tend to agree with Pope. He won't be worth the risk.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Was she fired too?

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Dibble is an idiot. Undeniable. But I doubt that a network's legal dept would tell you that Dibs is a legal risk given his background, unless there is a civil tort for on-air stupidity. But a sexual harassment victim could easily point out that Phillips' history of workplace sexual affairs/harassment would be common knowledge to anyone who Googled him and his new employer hired him with that knowledge.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Maybe the Newark Bears need a general manager.

Even if she is a headcase, I don't think the woman should have been fired.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was kind of surprised that Phillips didn't just resign. Maybe he figures he can argue that he was fired simply for getting caught doing what others have done.
    My guess? He latches on with some agent to work on evaluating prospects, dealing with owners during arbitration and that sort of thing.
    But I had to laugh about ESPN citing credibility issues as a cause, do they watch their own programming?

Draft saved Draft deleted