1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another vacation suggestion thread - Key West

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 21, 2010.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

The best part about our trip to Key West was that we flew there so we didn't have to deal driving with the 7-mile bridge.
    There is no beach there. It's a quirky little place, but once you've been there there's no need to go back, YMMV.

I would highly recommend staying at the Marriot on Key Largo or Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key. Very easy drive from Miami or FLL airport.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a cool trip for a weekend or so. I wouldn't go for longer unless you're in a boat.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've stayed at the Southernmost several times. I'd recommend it--fairly inexpensive and nice pools and bars. Forget the beaches--the only good beaches on KW are the ones with trucked-in sand. That said, sitting at the beach bar at the Pier House is a pretty nice way to spend an afternoon.

Lots better restaurants and bars than M'ville, unless like, 2mcm says, the owner shows up. I spent a nice hour or so once chatting with Capt. Tony at his bar, but that option, alas, is not available anymore.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Stayed at the Marriott in Key Largo. Nice hotel, shitty town. If you're not going snorkeling or fishing (and we stayed there during a tropical storm) there's nothing to do. We got there around 2 p.m. thinking it would be a decent waypoint on the drive back to Fort Lauderdale. Big mistake. We drove around for a couple hours, hit the discount T-shirt shop, ate at a Thai restaurant at 2:45 — without realizing everything closes between 3 and 6 p.m. — then spent the rest of the night in the hotel room.
    Unless you have a 6 a.m. flight or something, the drive from Key West to Fort Lauderdale can be done in a reasonable amount of time. There's no need to stay in Key Largo unless you're a masochist.

As for Key West beaches, there aren't many because it's basically a coral island. Even right offshore there's very little sand. If you go to the beach, make sure you bring Crocs or some sort of shoe to wear in the water or you'll soon regret it.
    The beach at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park is pretty nice, though. Quiet, not too crowded, and off the path a bit. If you want a nice, peaceful beach day it's a great place to go.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or go full-bore and learn to scuba dive. :)

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks y'all. We are going to fly into Key West, so no driving down the Keys.

The wife has instructed me to get "an upgraded room, not a normal hotel room." So, yeah, cha-ching.

Also, we are not tied to the beach idea. We're more interested in lounging, eating well, lounging, strolling, sleeping in a hammock, drinking, etc. The Westin and Pier House are both good, right?

We considered San Francisco and NYC. But we both realized those would be relaxing as we'd try to cram in as much as possible those places. We'd feel guilty sleeping late in NYC, not so in Key West.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Good thought, Inky. A good thing about Key West is there's literally nowhere to go from there except back up the keys a bit. It's like being stranded on a really cool, drunk mini-planet.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Substitute Street Glide for Road King, and I'm right there with you. My wife has three sisters, and all four husbands have bikes. At Christmas one of the sisters mentioned for summer vacation that we should all meet up and ride to Key West. While it's a wonderful theory, she didn't really realize how far and back that would be.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

OK, guys, pick a tropical island and lets go into business. We'll start a little beach joint. Headbutt tends bar, I'll flip burgers (extremely limited menu) and Moddy washes dishes. We'll name the establishment Somewhere.

Every day at 5 p.m., it'll be ...

Happy Hour!

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hawk's Cay is perfect, though expensive. MM 61.

I practically lived there from 1998-2008.

But, I agree with the point that there is a paucity of nice beaches down there.

Tranquility Bay in Marathon is also a place to look at.

Draft saved Draft deleted