1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another vacation suggestion thread - Key West

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Getting there is the fun part.

[​IMG]

The old Seven Mile Bridge was a delight to drive. Not.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Best thing they ever did was build the new bridges.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Riding a Road King to Key West is on my Bucket List.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've also heard good things about the Southernmost, though I have not stayed there.

As far as what to see, if you're there very long, you'll see everything. It's a small place, with nowhere to go. Enjoy Duval Street, plan your day around seeing the sunset with the rest of the population, and you can hardly go wrong.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Drive up the Overseas Highway and visit Bahia Honda State Park. Paradise on earth, at least it was the day Mrs. Bubbler and I visited in October.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

One of the great drives ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Morada Bay Beach Cafe, MM 81.5, is the best restaurant I have been to in the Keys. Get there in time to watch sunset as your food is arriving.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They need dishwashers?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's been a recurring dream/fantasy of mine for going on 15 years now. Though I'd rather bartend and take advantage of hot, drunk tourist women when my shift was over.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Key West is a great spot for a long weekend -- unless you like golf or beaches.

They beaches are terrible. I think because of the reef the water in near the islands sits there and just warms up to about 200 degrees in the summer. Stick with the hotel pools.

But it's cool to kick around and go boating, fishing and snorkeling if that's your thing.

Oh, and drinking. Lots and lots of drinking.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

If you're driving down from Miami, stop at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo when you're going down. Best snorkeling in the Keys.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Made a trip to Key West a few years back and it was the one vacation spot I was genuinely disappointed in.
    You have this vision of something it isn't -- bars on beautiful beaches -- and when you get there it is a bar district in the middle of town. No oceans, no beaches just a bunch of drunk tourists.
    The bar district is unremarkable, it could have just as easily been New Orleans or Memphis or any other place.
    As for the other things, I have my picture made at the southernmost post in the U.S. I did the Hemingway tour. I watched the sunset at Mallory and had Key Lime pie in Key West.
    What more is there to do?
    Of all the places I've been, Key West is the one place I wouldn't go back.

If I was going to celebrate a big anniversary or something, I'd pick a place you haven't been.

Draft saved Draft deleted