1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another vacation suggestion thread - Key West

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For our 10-year anniversary the wife and I have decided to go to Key West for an extended weekend. The only time I've been it was with a large group for serious drinking.

I'm considering http://www.reachresort.com for our hotel. Any other suggestions?
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

I'm going to commit sacrilege here: Margaritaville Cafe is extremely overrated unless the proprietor shows up. The Hogfish Bar & Grille (on Stock Island) is really good, or was.

Here's Trip Advisor's ranking of restaurants in KW: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g34345-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

I take it the Westin KW is out of the question? Right on Mallory Square and America's most amazing sunset.
  3. taller hack

taller hack Member

Check out the Eden House Inn. Wife and some friends stayed there for a wedding last summer. Place is phenomenal, you won't regret it. Hammocks everywhere, free happy hour at the pool everyday, walking distance to Duval Street if you two want to go out. I'd never stay anywhere else.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thought about the Westin and even looked at Eden House after it popped up on Kayak.com, but Reach Resort (a Waldorf property) has a beach. So we're kind of leaning that way.

And you're right about Margaritaville, 2MCM. But we have a "no chain restaurants" rule when on vacation, so that won't be a problem.
  5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Check out this place for restaurants: It's owned by Top Gun actress Kelly McGillis,

Also, I'd recommend the Half-Shell Raw Bar although I haven't been in years. Doesn't seem like the sort of place to change though.

As for hotels, did you check out the Southernmost? I think it has a private beach.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

Not since she got divorced in 2006. I think it still belongs to her ex-husband, though.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you haven't booked the hotel yet, give the Southernmost hotels a good look:
    Cheap rates for Key West (under $200 a night during the offseason; about $300 a night this time of year, but it's still cheap compared to other places in Key West), decent enough rooms and a great location on the quiet end of Duval. It's on the south end of Duval, which is about 2 miles end to end, but you can easily walk it and take in the scenery or rent a scooter.

As for stuff to do, make sure you hit Mallory Square at least one day at sunset and watch some of the street performers. I'd also recommend a sunset cruise. There's a pirate schooner that goes out for about a two-hour cruise for around $35 per person.
    The pirate museum is worth an hour or two, but stay away from the Mel Fisher museum (it's rather boring). There's an art museum in the Customs House that might be worth a visit depending on the exhibit.
    Also, make sure you stop and give the dirty joke man on Duval a dollar. He'll make you laugh.

The Margaritaville Cafe is overrated and overpriced, but my wife swears by their Key West shrimp.
    Caroline's on Duval is a great little outdoor lunch place with decent food and people watching.
    The small beach near the Southernmost Hotel has a little cafe. Food is OK, and eating on the beach is pretty cool and relaxing.
    Basically, just walk up and down Duval and see what strikes your fancy. Most places have menus on the window.

YGBFKM Guest

Go the Green Parrot and ask for Goon.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

Now available in your grocer's freezer: http://www.margaritavillefoods.com/index.php?page=seafood
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have given thought lately to packing up, moving to Key West, getting a job as a dishwasher or something, living in a garage apartment, riding a bike to work *** I need a good changeup and I'm starting to think that's it.
  11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The problem with that is, according to a story I read a year or two ago, is there is really no place left on Key West for dishwashers/bartenders/hotel staff/etc. to live. The island has basically annexed away all affordable living for the people that make the tourist industry tick.

Otherwise, listen to the lyrics of Tin Cup Chalice and good for you. I'm for anyone living the dream.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Went to Craig's List, just for yuks. And you are right. That place ain't cheap.
    I did see an ad for a restaurant manager that paid a decent bit of coin. Maybe I'll look into that, though it would defeat my purpose. I don't want all that responsibility!
Draft saved Draft deleted