1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another travel question, Phoenix suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am going to Phoenix for work but will have a fair amount of down time. I am looking at trying to see a Cactus League game and maybe Jazz vs Spurs on Friday night.

Any must dos from the folks on the board?

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Depends highly on what part of the area you're in and what your transportation options are.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Go to a Cactus League game and uh, not really a whole lot else culturally in Phoenix.Alice Cooper has a restaurant near US Airways Arena that's kind of funky - all the staff have the black teardrop. Downtown Tempe is pretty good most nights, and I don't know if the Pink Pony is still around in Scottsdale, but I remember as a kid, sports columnists always talked about all the baseball people that drank there.
    And I assume you meant Jazz-Suns, which is too bad. There is more to do in Salt Lake and San Antonio than there is in Phoenix.

4. ArnoldBabar

Seriously, let me know where exactly you are, what days of the week, what transportation you have. I and others can offer a lot of options.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Staying in Chandler on Wed, Thur, Friday and I did mean Suns/Jazz.

The closests Cactus League stadiums are about 45 minutes away according to google but will have access to wheels at our resort.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the steaks at Don and Charlie's - Downtown Scottsdale.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If you're in Chandler you'll be much closer to stadiums than 45 minutes. Angels are at Tempe Diablo and are probably your closest option. A's at Phoenix Muni aren't too far, and it's generally easy to get tickets there.

8. ArnoldBabar

Cubs in Mesa are close, too -- though tickets are hard to come by. And if you go to Mesa, hit up a Mexican place called Los Dos Molinos.

And Boom's right about the steaks at Don & Charlie's. Really cool place, too.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll second the recommendation for Los Dos Molinos. It looks like a complete dump from the outside -- and honestly, it pretty much looks like a dump on the inside, too -- but the food is fantastic. It's New Mexico-style Mexican food. Tia Rosa's is also very good.

In Chandler I highly recommend Guedo's Taco Shop and Chino Bandido. Not fancy, but damn good. Guedo's may have the best fish tacos I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot of them. Chino Bandido is a funky Mexican/Chinese hybrid. It's on "Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins" on the Food Channel pretty often.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

If you have the time, go visit the town of Sedona. If you have the money, have lunch or visit the spa at the Phoenician.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

can't go wrong with the ribs at "don and charlie's," either. 8) 8) 8)

12. ArnoldBabar

But keep in mind that Sedona is a day. It's great, but to get there and back you're pretty much not doing anything else that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted