1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

yet another song thread: What was the very first popular song you remember?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jul 29, 2013.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

"Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac. I have vague memories of asking my parents who sang it and saying I liked [Stevie Nicks].

Little did I know. :D

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

"How Will I Know?" by Whitney Houston.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Gotta be Don MacLean's "American Pie" for me. Older siblings played the shit out of it, so it took quite a few years to get to the point where I could hear it again without cringing.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jesus. It was hard enough to follow the words to "American Pie" as a 13-14 year-old, I can only imagine what it must have been like to hear it as a little kid. :eek: :eek:

I was like 7-8 when "Subterreanean Homesick Blues" came out and got played on the radio to some extent -- I remember thinking it sounded just like our grouchy old man neighbor yelling at kids to get off his lawn and what would happen if we didn't: "you'll be in the basement, time to take your medicine, I'm calling out the government, look out kid, you did it again, etc etc etc."

I was probably halfway through high school before I actually learned the words beyond the first verse or two.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

TNT by Ac/Dc....remember running around the house singing it at about age 4.

Though, technically, I also ran around the house singing the Stop that Pigeon theme as well as a jingle for a tampon.

Draft saved Draft deleted