1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

yet another song thread: What was the very first popular song you remember?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jul 29, 2013.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bobby Sherman practically owned the Tiger Beat cover in the pre-Patridge Family days. More than Davy Jones.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My supervisor is 52, I think. His daily "see ya" line is "Peace, Love and Bobby." pointed him to www.peacelovebobby.com. Made his day.

As a kid, I never really listened to the radio much but remember things like "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Streak." Probably the first time I remember recognizing music, though, was "Every Breath You Take," considerably later.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

E-Cards!

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

"Lotta Love" by Nicolette Larson. Upon leaving my mother's friend's house, the muffler had fallen off our '74 Maverick. So, she turned up the (AM) radio to drown out the loud exhaust (unsuccessfully), and this song was on. As a 4-year-old, I never forgot that, for whatever reason.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Go to know. I'm probably remembering it from the re-release, then.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think I win for most unfortunate song choice: "Macarena."

I was much older than what most of you are talking about, but I had been largely shielded from popular music by virtue of having no siblings and only a few older friends. I'm sure I'd heard a few other songs, but "Macarena" is the first one I vividly remember.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"The Pied Piper" by Crispian St. Peters.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Far From Over" by Frank Stallone.
    I was 5 or 6, and I guess the really fast intro just stuck in my brain. I thought that's how all songs were supposed to sound, so I was singing every song like that for a while. My sister's favorite song at the time was "Total Eclipse of the Heart," and I remember singing that song to the "Far From Over" cadence.
    As a side note, I just looked it up and found out the actual title of that song. Always thought it was "This is the End," but that's just the first few words.

The first one I really grooved to was a few years later -- Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again." We drove from New Jersey to Florida on vacation, and that was the one songe I kinda knew and sang along to when it came on the radio.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now you burned that song into my ear.

"I wonder, why, why , why I wonder........

Del had some pipes. Like his other hit.. Keep Searching. Both have a bit of
    a haunting sound some something lost.

First song I remember was " Hey Little Cobra" by Jan and Dean. Loved the California
    sound. Also Puff The Magic Dragon. Did not know at that point that PPM were liberals or
    I might have broke the album :).

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

"Love Will Keep Us Together" and "Thank God I'm a Country Boy". It was tough being 6 in 1975.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can remember my sister listening to the Bay City Rollers, so that was probably 1976, which would've made me 6.

12. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Well, if it makes you feel better, Jan and Dean were to the right of old_tony.

Draft saved Draft deleted