1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

yet another song thread: What was the very first popular song you remember?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I remember listening to Elton John on my dad's record player...thought I somehow scratched the record when I heard "Buh-buh-buh-buh Bennie and the Jets."

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

"Little Jeannie" by Elton John in my mom's Oldsmobile station wagon when I was about three. We were probably on the way to pick Bubbler up from soccer practice or something like that.

Other songs I remember hearing when I was that young: Juice Newton's version of "Angel of the Morning", "Ride Like the Wind" by Christopher Cross, "I Love a Rainy Night" by Eddie Rabbitt, and "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"The Living Years" by Mike & the Mechanics. I have vivid memories of riding in my carpool to second grade with that song playing. I can pinpoint it to a location in my hometown. I also remember "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul during that time period, but "The Living Years" was first.

I also remember riding around with my dad and him playing the Beatles' blue greatest hits album in his car. I loved "Octopus's Garden." I was probably 7 or 8. To this day, that song reminds me of him.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Paradise City

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

"Dominique," by the Singing Nun was a big hit the year my family took a road trip from where we were living in South Texas to my grandparents' home in North Mississippi, and I think every radio station in Louisiana played it on a continuous loop as we passed through there. I guess I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time. After that, probably "I Want To Hold Your Hand," which was the first song by the Beatles I remember hearing.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, we were listening to the same music. I'd add Baker Street to that list.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Red Red Wine was first released in 1983, but was re-released in 1988 and went to No. 1, if that helps.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wichita Lineman

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I clearly recall dancing The Twist as a 3-year-old and all of the relatives getting a kick of it. Chubby Checker was a big deal in our house back in '61.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think for me, the song was probably "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" by Paul McCartney. The French horn opening of the "Admiral Halsey" part triggered the memory when I heard the song years later. I couldn't have been much older than three when the song came out.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Either "Jet" or "Band on the Run" by Wings.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First single I ever bought was "Will It Go Round In Circles" by Billy Preston (I was 7) and the first album I heard in its entirety was probably Machine Head by Deep Purple (around that same time) which the teenager next door played incessantly when I went to his place to wait for my parents to come home.

I have a distant memory of hearing "Morning Has Broken" by Cat Stevens on the car radio as a little kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted