1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another satellite TV question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I've searched and couldn't find an answer, so it's time for the new topic button...

We're moving - just agreed to buy a house - and considering ditching Comcast (shocking).

My question is simple: With DirecTV or Dish Net, is there a tier with every regional sports network? Not just MASN and CSN for me, but like all the FSNs, NESN, MSG and all the rest.

If such a tier exists, do the blackouts extend to only pro games? I realize I can't see a Cubs game on CSN-Chicago without Extra Innings, but what if I (or, more to the point, my wife) wanted to see a Washington football game on FSN Northwest? Would she be able to?

We've gotten GamePlan for the past two years, but it seems UW is always on FSN.

Help appreciated.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

DirecTV will give you whatever local sports channels are in your area (in Florida it is Sun Sports and Fox Sports Florida).

Everything beyond that is in the sports tier. And I believe there is just one tier.

Blackouts apply to many (but not all) college games. Rule of thumb: If the game is appearing exclusively on only one FSN network (and not several), then blackout is likely. But a USC-Washington game likely would be carried by the entire FSN umbrella.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Hey Hustle, glad to see you.
    I've had DTV for more than 10 years. There is a regional sports net package, I used to have it, as you said, you don't get the pro games (unless you subscribe to the MLB/NBA/NHL/MLS packages).
    I used to watch Hawaii football on Fox Sports West at 2 a.m.
    This is what you want. $12 a month.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100069

Draft saved Draft deleted