1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another running shoe question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 29, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

New Balance are known to run wide.

I don't know about women's shoes, but Asics come in EE and 4E size -- not that I need them. I'd imagine other brands are made in wide sizes too, but don't know for sure.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

New Balance offers a full range of widths, from 4A to 6E. As my podiatrist explained, they also create a new last for each size of shoe where a lot of other companies will use one last and add a percentage to increase the size. He's a big fan of NB.

Didn't know that Asics offered a choice of widths. Will definitely check them out.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but what I meant was that even the medium width New Balance shoes tend to run wider than other brands. I think a good chunk of their business comes from the fact that they cater so well to people with wider feet.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been running in a pair of New Balance Minimus while training for an off-road duathlon. They were my first pair of "barefoot" style sneakers. I love them. Prior to that, I'd run barefoot on a treadmill to get my feet and calves used to the new motion.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Bought the Newton MV2s today, but they gave me pause after running through the parking lot in them. Talk about minimalist -- sheesh. 5.6 ounces. But I've found the more minimal the shoe, the more I do what I supposed to in them. Will give them a whirl Wednesday before racing in them on Saturday. They're basically an upper (very wide mesh) and a very slight sole with the Newton lugs. That's all. We'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted