1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another reason to keep your kids off myspace

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Who Knows, May 11, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yup, this is the college version.

A student on there put up a message about shooting the president and he had the Secret Service visit him.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This is one of my big peeves about AOL. It is designed for children. So whenever I hear an adult give out their email address as having an "aol.com" at the end, I am always freaked. There is no reason any adult should ever be running that on their computer. None.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

High schoolers and MySpace is completely disturbing. However, it's great if you're an investigative reporter trying to find out more about the culture of teenage drinking. All drinking and sexing photos that kiddos have no shame putting on the Internet for all of the free world to see.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You don't think that's a bit of a stretch there, Crass?

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Beat me to it.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if parents use AOL because they have kids, they aren't gonna have an email account on it?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Kids who don't have adequate parenting?? You mean single parents or families where both parents have to work and can't monitor the computer all day? Parents who disconnect the computer, so their kids can just go somewhere else?

You can tell kids not to smoke, not to drink, not to do drugs, not to be skanky on the internet.  If that worked, no kids would smoke, or drink, or do drugs, or skank around on the internet.  Doesn't seem to work, does it.

Think of all the things we did as kids.  Did we all have inadequate parenting?

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

More unadulterated, utopian idiocy from DW.

9. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Not only that, but if parents or families don't want a lot of Internet time, why would they pay a lot more money for high speed Internet when they aren't going to use it.

If you are only using Internet for email and an occasional surfing, AOL is just fine for anyone.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When I was covering HS sports, I sometimes asked myself the same question. Either times have changed since I was in HS, or I was even more of a clueless idiot when I was in HS than I already believed (and I am certain I was hopelessly without clue in those days).

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You know, people are coming on here saying this is making them terrified to have a daughter.

This kind of thing actually makes me worry about having a son sometimes. Will I be able to teach him respect for women and not to troll on the internet?

Moms and dads of sons, what do you do to make sure your kid is a good kid?

12. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

You raise a good point. It's not just the girls we should be worried about.

As evidenced by recent teachers, teenage boys are just as susceptible as teenage girls.

Draft saved Draft deleted