1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another reason to keep your kids off myspace

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Who Knows, May 11, 2006.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a damn good idea.

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

It won't really stop psychos who shouldn't be there still will be. What's $1 a year, or even every month, to ogle teens and lure them into their van/house/whatever? It might stop some, but not very many.

Then I know for a fact it wouldn't stop a lot of 12,13,14 year olds from joining. I have a cousin who gets whatever she wants, when she wants it, and even how she wants it, from her parents. If Myspace required a credit card to sign up really all it would do is give kids like her something new to beg their parents for. It starts putting the ball in the parents' court, but bad parents will be bad parents no matter what Myspace does.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good points all around. But jake, like you say, bad parents are going to be bad parents. A credit-card requirement would take care of the kids with good parents getting in over their head.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Right. You're helping the parents who want to keep the kids off MySpace....or at least want to be aware that the kids have an account they can monitor.

As for the psychos, a credit card won't stop anyone from being psycho, but it does make them traceable.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess things have changed a lot in 35 years, but . . .

. . . when I was a kid I often slept over at friends' houses and had them over at mine.

And I rarely recall my parents ever meeting their parents. They just drove us over, and we hopped out of the car.

So to say such parents "don't care" . . . is out of bounds.

Unless "caring" means you install a microchip in your child and have video surveillance following his every move.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

That's a fair point.
    I'd be interested in seeing how they'd retroactively charge people who already have profiles. It'd be a huge undertaking, but if it was able stop even one kid from being abducted, it'd be worth it.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No retroactive charges.

Want to keep your account? Register a credit card, spend a dollar and it's yours. If you don't, the account will be deleted in 14 days.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Should the same be done with other social networking sites, such as Facebook?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Facebook doesn't have the same problems myspace seems to.

Why that is, I couldn't tell you.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Because Facebook is much better than MySpace in a lot of areas, including keeping the whackos out.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted