1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another reason to keep your kids off myspace

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Who Knows, May 11, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Tiger Williams.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Actually, 21's a woman...

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Even kids with good, concerned parents find ways to get into trouble.

My parents always made sure they knew who I was with and made me carry a pager so they could get in touch with me. Doesn't mean I wasn't partying with college guys by the time I was 16, doesn't mean I wasn't dating men that were far too old for me.

If a teenager wants to get into trouble, he or she can find a way, regardless of how involved his/her parents are.

I don't mind myspace, even for teens, but I would certainly not give them carte blanche on the site. I'll admit to not having kids. However, I did teach middle school for a couple years, so I know how their devious little minds work. If they want to get into trouble, there's not much any adult can do to stop it.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Thank you, Captain Obvious. If I was referring to 21, I would have quoted a 21 post.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I thought you'd enjoy the attention, Flash.

Fuck off? Wow, that's pretty original. Especially for somebody handicapped by a hangover (yet again). Be honest: Did you know how to spell it right off, or did you have to look it up first?

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Gee, I don't sixty-nine. Did you pick up your handle at the trailer park? Or just your wife?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I noticed that as well.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't have any irons in any fights with you, Flash, and despite the beatings you take on here, I'm certain you'd be cool to have a beer with, but next to "reap what they sow" in the encyclopedia is a picture of Steve Yzerman and a black bar covering your chest.

What did you expect with the way you debuted on the board? Especially, since you have followed that with gleeful musing about getting drunk, etc? Did you really think respect was going to be afforded to you as a matter of course? Respect isn't afforded to ANYONE as a matter of course on here, it's earned, and once earned, its trampled on repeatedly.

You can't have it both ways. You can't be drunken, attention-starved Racky McRackstein and then all of the sudden demand to be taken seriously when you switch gears.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you're like the Jani Lane quote in my sig. You did this to yourself.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Can't we all just get along?

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Sorry, but I don't see how that precludes the childless from entering a discussion on how children should be raised. I have enough friends who have kids to have learned from them how or how not to rear my children. Isn't that how you figure things out? By learning from others?

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I don't blame the parents. I blame the shamelessness of kiddos when it comes to the fallout of MySpace.com. And not to legitimize hopping on a plane to Jordan to meet some 28-year-old who told you he loved you via IM, but think about it. When you're 17 years old you think you're untouchable - there isn't much stock on rationalization at that age.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You do some dumb stuff when you're that age . . . date men far too old for you . . . sneak out to do it . . . drink and drive. I think most us did stuff at that age that we look back on now and go, "OH MY GOD, I was soooooo f***ing stupid. I could have raped, killed (fill in the blank)."

I'd hate to be the parent of a teenager. I taught them. That was stressful enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted