1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another reason to keep your kids off myspace

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Who Knows, May 11, 2006.

1. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Every time I see a story about myspace's commitment to keeping kids safe, I want to throw up.

If they're serious about protecting minors, they'd require a valid credit card for registration.

3. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

When I read that one graf in the story about how there are guidelines in place to protect minors, I just rolled my eyes.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

21, as shitty as this gets at times, I don't see how a credit card for registration would help.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Most 13 year olds don't have credit cards.

I just have a hard time blaming the parents for this---the mother in the story says her kid got so good at sneaking onto the internet, they finally disconnected the whole thing, including cable TV.

So they go to their friends' houses, and do it there.

What makes me nuts are my idiot friends who go for the 'it must be ok, everyone else is doing it' deal....and have no idea how to get around the internet. I'm convinced that parents have to be the greatest hackers in the world---there should be a class on this.

6. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

That's the problem though. Even if you block that site on your home computer, a teen can go to their friends' house, a library, etc, etc.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Or another good reason not to have kids.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would really like MySpace to spell out its stricy policy to enure that kids under 14 don't use the site.

9. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Can't some computer geek hack into that site and fuck it up beyond usability?

10. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

A little late for me, the father of six...

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can have kids. Amish kids.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

To me, this goes far beyond MySpace and it's lack of security for minors.
    A 13-year-old who does this obviously has problems that are being ignored at home. This is first and foremost a parental issue, as is the behavior of virtually all kids this age.

Draft saved Draft deleted