1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another reason Sally Jenkins is a goddess

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Apr 21, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

I agree. I think it might have been better to just mention he was smoking a cigarette.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

In Exile, well put. I've faced the same problem: What to believe when there are conflicting stories about a previous event. Plus, it's more fun to do it yourself.
    I look forward to Jenkins's book, and possible footnotes, not to nitpick and try to trip her up, but to see the breadth of her research.

3. Just thought I'd point out that his Devil in the White City book contained several made up scenes, ones he took considerable license with without stating they were his conjecture and not fact. The Chicago Tribune did a story a few months ago about this.
    I tried finding the article, but it's in the archives now. I looked at the free abstract to find out it ran Jan. 28,2007 in the Perspectives section, in case anybody wants to pay to read the whole thing.

4. urgrad2004

urgrad2004 Member

Met her at the Poynter conference last week and not only was she the most talented of the esteemed faculty, she was easily the nicest. The amount of insight she has about sports and the business is ridiculous and it was almost worth the price of admission to hear Jenkins talk about the art of her craft.

She talked about the amount of research it took to finish the book and said it's been in the planning stages for the last 10 years. Also added that she read 93 different books about the subject to prepare for it.

I read the insert in SI over the weekend and can't wait for the book.

5. statrat

statrat Member

Sally is great people. She took a few minutes out of busy day to chat with me when I called her out of the blue to interview her for a class assignment a few years ago. She was even kind enough to dispense some career advice. I think I'll have to read the full book when it comes out.

Draft saved Draft deleted