1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another overbearing, doesn't get it parent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by StevieP, Jan 17, 2011.

1. StevieP

StevieP New Member

So my wife's varsity girls' basketball team starts the season 0-5. She alters the lineup, now they're 3-5.
    So of course the parent of the girl — who's been selected a team captain (popularity vote) — who started all five of those first games and is now a reserve is upset beyond belief. To voice her complain, idiot-stick mom doesn't call my wife the coach, doesn't talk to her before or after practice face-to-face, but decides the most appropriate route is via a Facebook message.

Uh, how do you "defriend" someone again?

Some highlights of the complaint, "I've noticed Miss Susie started the first five games, but now her playing time has been cut. Why is that?" "I wish I wouldn't have talked her into playing this year," "She's working just as hard as the other girls, she's just struggling right now" and my personal favorite, "You as a coach should do your job and talk to her, you're breaking her confidence and affecting her senior year. If things don't change, perhaps we should schedule a meeting with the athletic director."

Coach talks to Miss Susie about crazy bitch, bad cleavage and mom-jeans wearing mom. When asked is she knows why they're having this discussion, Miss Susie responds, "It's my mom, right?" then starts to cry. Totally embarrassed about the course of events after their brief discussion and yet thrilled beyond belief the team is on a three-game winning streak, Miss Susie states, "I wish my mom wouldn't have gone off her menopausal pills."

Yeah, I hear you...

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Man, when I read your first sentence, I thought poindexter was going to be posting a link about you soon :)

Sounds like your wife can be a real calming influence for the girl, which she probably needs. One thing I've been noticing around my parent/school set is how many moms seem to go off the rails when they get to their mid-40s. NOTE: I'm by no means saying it's a rule among women. Just saying that in my particular social group, I've known a lot more moms than dads whose personalities have changed for the worse. The dads, of course, were already dicks by the time they were 28.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Dear Penthouse, ...

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i had a parent call today alerting me to the fact his daughter was signing a junior college softball scholarship.
    "She's been committed to them since last year," he said. "They got on her early, ahead of everybody else."

I said thanks, told him our policy, and hung up.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I begin to wonder if it's worth it to cover girls basketball. One of the girls I cover hurt her knee in a winter tournament. At first, coach reported it was a torn meniscus. The girl's mom insists it's a bruise. The truth is probably somewhere in between.
    But here's the crazy part. Mom starts sending e-mails to other parents, the coach, me, wanting to know who said her daughter only had a bruised knee. The mom told the coach it was a bruised knee. The girl told the coach it was a bruise. She's missed a couple weeks already and will be out for at least another two weeks.
    Coach doesn't know who to believe. The girl seems to be fine walking around campus, no crutches and no word from a doctor how bad her knee is.
    In the meantime, Mom wants a retraction or a correction about the severity of her daughter's injury. We've already told the coach mom's not going to get a correction.
    Crazy parents. The same ones who wonder why their kid's teams don't get more coverage.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Crazy mom at one stop wore us a nice letter why her daught should be all area, even though she averaged five points a game before blowing out her knee
    She tries hard, mom wrote, and it would help her get a scholarship. Oh, and she's all-league honorable mention.
    Ummm, mom? That league didn't do an honorable mention. Six teams, a first team and a second team. HM? Hardly.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Everyone's a D-I athlete just waiting to be discovered :)

8. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I wish every parent could read these threads to know how poorly they come across.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This should be one of those things that someone writes the people who do the Dear Abby or Ann Landers columns for. "What not to say to a sports journalist."

Only problem is, it would be in the paper, and who knows how many people would read it.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The thing is, most of those parents would read these threads and be in denial.

"Well, at least I'm not THAT bad."

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dads can be just as crazy too. A couple of years ago a school trip to Disneyland was scheduled before the last game of the regular season and was departing during practice. Coach wanted all players at practice. Players who chose Disneyland didn't play in the finale, which they won. Dad e-mails me that night saying I should point out that they won without all those players. After deadline, I send a note back saying we weren't going to pursue that story and if he wants word out, send a letter to the editor. He did ... and got fried by the readership.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Did you also tell him that the junior college "got on her early" because it's a junior college, and therefore, she must not be that good?

Tangent: Anyone who is going to a junior college to play sports ahead of getting a degree at a four-year institution - unless that person can't actually get into a four-year institution - needs to get their priorities in line.

Draft saved Draft deleted