1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another moving / location thread - Fort Lauderdale or Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I may have a potential job in the Fort Lauderdale area and am looking for some recommendations on neighborhood resources.

Any recommendations on websites that rate schools, neighborhood crime, etc. I have moved a lot but never to a place I don't know a lot about and never with a family so any help is welcome.

2. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

Re: Yet another moving / location thread - Fort Lauderdale

The schools suck. I've heard the private ones really aren't that great (when compared to other "good school" states). We moved just before our son was headed to first grade. I have heard decent things about a school in Davie. Generally speaking you are better off in Northern Broward - Coral Springs, Parkland, Coconut Creek, Boca (actually in Palm Beach Co., I believe). Nice place to live for the most part, though.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I lived in a great neighborhood in Plantation (west of Fort Lauderdale), but I haven't been back there since I left 10 years ago. Loved the proximity to the airport; three major highways (I-95, I-75 and the turnpike) were only minutes away. I'm not sure I'd go back there; Miami-Lauderdale-West Palm is really one large metropolitan area.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ask BTE.

As for my advice: Don't take it. No job makes living in SoFla worth it. I've got the scars to prove it.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Underrated, underreported crime, as well.

Would much rather live in Boca, thanks, if I had a choice.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. The job is in the northern part around Mirimar so a commute from the Boca area is doable. Housing prices are god but holy crap the property taxes are high.

7. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

Wait until you see the price of hurricane insurance ...

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Boca to Miramar? OMG! That's 30 miles one way on either 95 or the turnpike. That commute will be the worst thing you've ever done unless you're making those drives between, say, 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. The turnpike is going to be the easier of the two just because everyone else clogs the free interstate, but still, I'd need to be getting a 50 percent raise to consider this commute five times a week.

Someone else mentioned the cost of homeowners insurance; a good rule of thumb is to expect to see it triple from what you're paying now.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you find an independent agent to do some shopping for you homeowners' insurance is not so bad.

After the conga line of hurricanes in the middle of the decade, mine went from about $1,000/year to close to $4,000.

I raised the deductible, which knocked it down to $2,800. Agent shopped around some more and found a policy for $1,900 the next year, and then $1,300 last year.

No state income tax, and low (6%) sales tax mitigate some of the other expenses.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's also one of America's great debtor havens, for those interested in such niceties.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

An investigation needs to be done into where all the property tax revenue went to.

A few years ago, with property values soaring, the cities and county somehow managed to find a "need" for all that extra money.

Fast-forward five years. Property values fall, revenues fall, and there are shortfalls everywhere. Teachers fired, services cut, fees increase.

The question:

Property values are STILL significantly higher than they were 15 years ago, when parks were open 7 days and the county was hiring 1,000 teachers a year. My house was worth $130,000 then.

Today it's worth about $210,000. My property tax is about 25% higher than it was in 1996, too.
    So why don't the cities and county have money? Where did it go? Why all the cuts? Why the massive shortfall?
    Instead of the real estate bubble and those years of artificially high prices, suppose property values simply showed slight increases all these years to reach the place where they are now. Would there be all this budget trouble?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted