1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another LCD TV thread in a long line of LCD TV threads...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Oct 8, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I paid a few more $$ and we're loving the Sony Bravia 40".

As for HDMI cables, you can get cheap ones on Amazon for a couple of $$ per.

2. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I have a 32'' Sony Bravia and the family loves it. It looks stunning and it has the internal digital TV tuner. Picked up a bunch of local digital stations within minutes of turning it on. Fantastic.

3. We got a 42" LG last year and have no complaints.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Contrast ratio is only 1000:1 in the one sold at Walmart and 5000:1 in the one at target....

target is the one you want.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This conversation should end with Samsung LCDs.
    Specs close the Sony Bravia, for less money.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Based on ... your experience? That does not qualify as closing the conversation.

Nobody should buy a TV based on the opinions of a few people with limited experience. Do your research. It's a very journalistic approach. :)

9. fishwrapper

My experience and Consumer Reports.

There may be a bit of hyperbole in the statement. But, I own a Vizio (smaller in the bedroom) and a larger Samsung (52/1080p/120Hz/15,000:1) in the family room. The Samsung is a pearl. Oustanding picture and better on motion capture.
    But, I will agree with you. One should take into account environment and placement of an LCD when purchasing. That's for certain.
    But, side-by-side, the Samsung is a strong competitor with the Bravia.

Do you really think I would plop down that kind of money and not research my purchase?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for you.
    I happen to like my Vizio and thoght I would never buy another brand -- until I researched, then bought, my Philips...
    It's up to the individual, not a pontificant "this thread should begin and end with..." X brand.
    If your Samsung has a 15k:1 contrast ratio and 120hz, of course it's going to be better than your Vizio. But not everyone has that kind of money. And maybe a 52 inch TV won 't work in the space she has. I would like a bigger TV, for example, but 37 is best for my available space. To say yours is the best and everyone else's is waste of time, subjective.
    These threads aren't necessarily great for telling you which one too buy, but far better at which ones not to buy.

11. fishwrapper

You missed the entire point.
    First, the Samsung is available in 40" and 46" and says so at the end of the review.
    I didn't buy my TV new. But, re-manufactured. So, I paid $300 more than my Vizio. And, I admitted to hyperbole in my original statement.
    Picture quality is subjective. That's why we have a thread like this one biweekly.
    When purchasing an LCD, like I said before, go through a checklist:
    Price
    Size
    Room
    Lighting
    What you'll be using the set for (Sports vs. movie, or both).
    Angle of viewing
    HDTV stretch settings
    Contrast
    HDMI inputs
    It's funny. Televisions are like purchasing cars, these days. Do what's best for you.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, we begin and end with your Samsung...

Draft saved Draft deleted