1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another LCD TV thread in a long line of LCD TV threads...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In addition to the contrast ratio, consider 120Hz, the picture regenerate at a faster rate, making those high-action programs (sports!) more enjoyable.

As much as I want to recommend Sony - even if it's a little more - my CRT HDTV has been giving me trouble. Worse, it took a call to Sony to get anyone to take a look at it. Still, Sony if a little extra money can be spared, Vizio is the budget is super-tight, Rosie.

Good luck.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I can tell you from working at circuit city and looking at all those big screens every time I walk the floor that the 120hz plasma is definitely the way to go. They showed Transformers on there on blue ray and HOLY SHIT! Of course the price tag on it is a bit up there, but it's so worth it if you can afford it.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm so politically horny I thought LCD in this case meant "lowest common denominator" and I was going to submit Faux News.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Two words.. Sharp Aquos.. quite simply the best LCD on the market. If that's too rich for your blood, Sony Bravia.....

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No matter how it looks in the store, remember that it will be the best looking TV in your living room. I have a 786, and it looks great. In the store, I would think it looks bad, but in my house, it looks amazing.

Be sure to set aside $100 for an HDMI cable.

I would look at Costco.com or drive over to one of their stores if you have a membership.

Do you have a stand for it to sit?

Plasmas burn more energy than a LCD, so it might cost even more scratch in the long run.

Be sure you have called your cable provider so you know the monthly hit will be with the HD package.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

You can get a HDMI cable for less than $100, I got a Lextron for $22 at BJ's and my HD looks great.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

100 bucks for an HDMI cable? I'll sell you one for 40 and still make money, 93...

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Polaroid has a deal to put its name on some of the HDTVs sold at Walmart. Lousy picture quality, best left in Walmart.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The HDMI was $100 when I bought mine about three years ago. I know they have gone down a lot, but I have not shopped for one in awhile.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

You can still pay $100 but if you shop around, you can find them much cheaper.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

When I was buying 3 years ago, Panasonic was listed as best for Plasma.
    I've not been sorry one single day since. Prices have come down considerably since I bought -- as much as $1500-2000 down, but mine remains worth every penny.
    Viera 50 inches. I love my TV.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

LCD screens use less electricity than plasma, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted