1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another layoff at my small shop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Mar 4, 2009.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Many of our ad reps, especially in real estate, used to sit at their phones, waiting for orders -- and big commissions -- to come in.
    Now that the climate has changed, some don't know how to get out and hustle.
    They do know when the clock strikes 5 and it's time to leave, however.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

usually in the places I've been, it's about 4:55 when they get ready to head for the exits.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm working on a story about local businesses laying off workers in my area. I guess there called "staffing resets" now.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Best time to show up at a newspaper is 5:03 p.m. because you know you'll get a damn parking space close to the building.

Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother.

If the people who actually make us money don't go the extra mile, then why should I?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No wonder they don't understand that copy desk editors actually work. If they wouldn't go home so damn early, we could actually stop in and say hello once in a while.

6. At all too many places, Mark, daytime staffers have no clue how the paper is put out. They think it's done by elves or something. They're never around to see things come together.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

lone star, what you say is so true.

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The publisher at my daily worked in both editorial and advertising (not at the same time), so he knows and understands what we're going through.

Draft saved Draft deleted