1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another journalist leaves the biz ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jeff.pearlman, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

One of my closest friends is a guy named Michael Lewis (not THE Michael Lewis). He's spent the last bunch of years covering sports for the Daytona Beach paper. Excellent writer, excellent reporter, excellent person—and he's decided he's had enough. This summer he returns to college to pursue a teaching degree.

I hate losing guys like Mike, but I also understand. The biz just isn't what it was when we attended the U of Delaware together. Sad, but reality.

Anyhow, today, on his blog Mike wrote about what he'll miss of sportswriting. Thought it was worth sharing ...

http://michaeljlewis.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/after-14-years-heres-what-ill-miss-about-being-a-sportswriter-mitt-romney-whitest-guy-in-america-and-cool-hockey-puck-tricks/

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Enjoyed that. Thanks for posting, Jeff.

Tell him if he's not already a member here to sign up with this handle:

Michael Lewis, not that one.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I wish him well and understand the decision.

Here's the thing, though. My brother's girlfriend has her Master's in education. She is now in her third fruitless year of trying to find a public school job. She continues to work at a private school, making less money than many entry-level journalists. It took one of my best friend two years to find a special education job in the county where he lives.

And I live in an area where the economy wasn't affected too badly by the economic downturn.

When President Obama said we needed more teachers in this country, my wife and I laughed uproariously at how absurd his comment truly was. She is a high school teacher, and we've both decided it's actually more competitive to get a teaching job now than a journalism job.

Her county hired ONE new full-time English teacher last year. Another county nearby just announced the elimination of hundreds of teaching positions.

Teaching is a fulfilling job, but it's not an easy transition to make.

4. Mike is one of my best friends in the business, one of my favorite people ever.

From covering the Danbury Trashers with him to working with him in Daytona, dude was a bulldog reporter, a great writer and the best dude ever to go watch NCAA tournament games with.

I'm sad he's leaving the biz because journalism can use more people like him. But he's moving back to New York, and moving closer to home is always a good thing.

5. Agreed, we're going to miss Michael down here in Florida. Great going away party, but sad too.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thought he'd have "bad parents" high on his list of things he wouldn't miss (posted today) ... yep.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

this

Draft saved Draft deleted