1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another Hot Stove thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jan 27, 2008.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Good, flakey, old and tired, old and tired, got beat up last year, maybe.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was wondering where Perez was. He really was decent last year. Put an ace like Santana on that team and the rotation is pretty solid.

Melock, Perez may be a bit flakey, but he sure looked good enough to be a decent No. 3 starter last year. The talent has always been there and he is still pretty young.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I was assuming Pedro wouldn't start more than 15 games.

As dumb as I am, I wouldn't forget Pedro. I just don't think he'll be a factor.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Five starts, 28 innings, 3-1 record, an ERA of 2.57 and a 1.43 WHIP. Yeah, he fucking sucked.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I still don't like the Phils third base situation, so-so offense bad defense.

After Hamels and Myers the rotation worries me with 98-year-old Moyer, bitch-boy Eaton and Chad "who the fuck are you" Durbin. I leave out Kendrick b/c I'm not sure what happens after teams get the chance to scout him. He's mentally strong enough to pitch in Philly, but I'm not sure that's enough.

I like getting Lidge for Bourn (never more than a fourth OF), Geary (middle relief at best) and a so-so prospect, but how do they get the ball to him? What's Gordon's shoulder like and which Ryan Madsen shows up?

6. statrat

statrat Member

If the deal goes down without a contract extension for Bedard, Bill Bavasi needs to be taken out behind the nearest shed, as that is the one only thing that will make this a borderline decent trade for the Mariners. Bedard is coming to a club that will in all likelihood finish out of the playoffs for the next two years, has an offense that will rank in somewhere just north of mediocre, terrible defense at the corner outfield, and a middle relief group that is questionable. The Mariners just shipped out five prospects for two years of an ace pitcher, and will have no playoff appearances to show for it.

7. Hammer Pants

With nowhere near his best stuff, too. He was getting people out with mid-80s fastballs a few nights I saw him.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Didn't say he sucked. Said he was old and tired. Big difference. That said, I'd take him on the Phils in a heart beat.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hampton's got as much chance to stay healthy as I do of fucking for an hour straight.

Worst free agent contract ever.

and yes, Randolph could piss away the division even with Santana. At this point, I'm pretty sure he could steer the '27 Yankees to a 71-71 mark in the International League.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

And if Seattle gets 300 innings in two years out of him, I'll be surprised and impressed. I've had Bedard on my fantasy team for four years now and he's awesome when it doesn't count and shuts things down as soon as his mangina senses discomfort.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't worry about Hampton. Although he always pitched tough against Philly.

12. Hammer Pants

Agreed on Hampton's signing, but I think he'll play (at least some) this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted