1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another heart-wrenching tale of athlete redemption

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/21/steelers.roethlisberger.redemption/index.html?hpt=C1

And of course the odds are about 96% it's compete fucking bullshit.

When are writers/editors going to wise up and give this shit a rest?

Probably the next time Vick is hauled off in cuffs, I suppose.

Nahhh, probably not.

2. Ridiculous story. The Vick story in SI at least was handled a little more wisely in exploring how football prowess doesn't equal redemption off the field. If a rape occurred, nothing done on a football field can offer redemption. If it was just bad judgment and an embarrassing public story ... nothing done on a football field can indicate anything about that judgment.

In fact, it's often the opposite. The best players are usually the biggest pricks in real life because that kind of stubborn ego that helps them block out all the criticism and doubt doesn't always add up to an ability to accept no or work well with others away from the all-encompassing respect of their chosen sport.

That can be a bit of a generalization of course, which is why I said usually, but it turns out to be true in all too many cases.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

All the Super Bowls in the world won't change the fact he's a rapist piece of shit.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I want to read an interview with his fiancee's father, since I assume if they're engaged by now they were probably at least dating 10 months ago. "So how did that feel knowing your future son-in-law was bending college girls over in the bathroom?"

Draft saved Draft deleted