1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet Another HDTV Question And Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Don't screw around on size, either, or you'll just end up having buyer's remorse. We were looking at 32" TVs and ended up with a 42". I'm so happy we went the extra mile and got the bigger one.

You don't have to get the top-of-the-line model, though. Mine is Insignia (Best Buy store brand) and I love it.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think that a lot.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Pay the $20 and check out consumerreports.com for their recommendations regarding performance and repair history. Pay that extra for a quality brand because last thing you want is to fork out the $$ and then hassle with the warranty.

I got a 40" Sony (Bravia but not the top end XHP/XHD) last year and am really enjoying the HD.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i guess yours wasn't one of the insignias that were recalled because they tended to catch fire.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

What about dynamic contrast ratio? I know the higher the better.

But what's an average number?

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Not to my knowledge. Kind of worried all of a sudden, though.

7. txsportsscribe

i don't know that there is an average ratio number but the better ones i looked at (42-46 lcd 1080p) were at least 50,000:1

8. txsportsscribe

i read about it while doing some researching using the google. would think they would've sent you a notice if yours was one of the fire starters.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Ah, when I was shopping late last year for an HDTV (yes, I keep putting it off), I learned that dynamic ratio is a bunch of bullshit. There is not industry standard. There is no actual regulated formula. Companies make it up, "Our Sony is 100,000,000:1! So it's better!"

Not so.

At least from what I read. And understood.

Then again, I'm a technological idiot.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Yes. And pop for the HDMI cable.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buy it off ebay,... get it for like six bucks.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That's the thing that allows me to watch my computer on the TV right?

Draft saved Draft deleted