1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another football stat question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Oct 2, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I usually give it a -2 yardage on a kneel, because it oftentimes ends up being second-and-12, etc., at least in the NFL.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

From the 2007 NCAA Stats manual

Article 9. The passer is not charged with a pass attempt when a forward pass
    is ruled intentionally grounded. Credit the passer with a rush attempt and yards
    gained or lost to the spot of the foul. Also, do not charge the passer with a pass attempt when he deliberately throws the ball to the ground to stop the clock, but charge the team with a pass attempt. Officials are instructed to apply the principle of “reasonable opportunity” to catch the pass to intentional grounding situations. It is intentional grounding when a passer, to prevent a loss of yardage, intentionally throws a ball where no eligible offensive player has a reasonable opportunity to catch it.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

My understanding was that the only situation where this is true is on a bad snap. If a runner has the ball in control, then loses it, that runner is charged with the yardage gained or lost at the end of the play. But if the center airmails it over the quarterback's (or punter's, for that matter) head for a loss of 10, then that's a team rush.

4. HandsomeHarley

Makes sense to me. No sense charging a QB with minus rushing yards because his center can't snap.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yep, happened in last night's Marshall/Memphis game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272750235

Late in the game Marshall center snaps the ball too low, resulting in a 19-yard loss for the Blundering Turds.

6. HandsomeHarley

Blundering Turds? First time I've heard that.

lol

Draft saved Draft deleted