1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, May 19, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

You can also get a win and a blown save.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And more than one pitcher from the same team can be credited with a blown save.

Where I disagree with the interpretation of the blown-save statistic is when a middle reliever comes in in the 7th inning of a 3-2 game, gives up a run and is charged with a blown save. It would seem fairly obvious that he wasn't in there to save the game, but rather to hold the lead. So it should be a blown hold, even though that phrase makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

A. The save is a bad statistic, given the leeway in the rukes.
    B. The blown save is total bullshit because, as deskslave mentioned, we know the mediocre peice of shit middle/setup reliever (think Aaron Heilman) who comes in in the 7th inning isn't there to save the game.
    C. The "hold" is the most useless stat ever, invented by baseball agents to prove that their piece of shit middle/set-up reliever (think Aaron Heilman) was actually more effective than his 2-8 record an 6.43 ERA indicate.

Draft saved Draft deleted