1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, May 19, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The high-school version. From a playback game to determine a league regular-season champ:

Johnny Hardthrower (or whatever made up name you want to imagine) is the starting pitcher for his team, the visiting team. They bat in the top of the first, take a 4-0 lead; he pitches 5 1/3 innings and never loses the lead.

When he loses steam, there's a straight position switch. The starting pitcher moves to shortstop, the SS comes in to pitch. The former SS throws effectively for a while, but loses steam in the seventh.

With no outs in the bottom of the seventh and the bases loaded - and the visiting team ahead 8-5 - the original starter comes back in from shortstop to close out the game. He gets a double play, giving up a run (now 8-6 with two outs, runner on third), plunks a batter (two outs, runners on the corners), gets an infield single that scores a run (now 8-7, two outs, runners on first and second), plunks another batter (bases loaded) and gets the last guy to ground out on an unassisted force-out at third. Game over, 8-7 final.

So can this kid do the unthinkable and get the win and the save?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw that. The dude should not be able to come back and pitch. That's bull.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

You can not get a win and a save in the same game.
    End of discussion!

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why is that bull? He's still in the game.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What buckdub said.

It depends on the rules in high school -- or in that particular state's high school baseball association. All I know is that in Babe Ruth baseball, once you remove a pitcher, he is being taken out for the rest of the game as a pitcher only.

6. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

That's an odd rule.
    If any other kid came in to the game in that situation, it's a save ---- because it was, in fact, a save situation. And he did techically come on in relief.

But because this kid started the game and was in line for the win, he doesn't qualify?
    Weird.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So much for the running scoring question thread. I was pretty sure it wasn't gonna stick, and I'm the one who suggested it. (Or at least someone who suggested it.)

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Buck, I knew of that provision in the rules to get a save. I was just curious if there was an out at all because, as chili said, it was two different stints.

I know (b) usually only comes into play when a reliever pitches the top of ninth - or the final extra inning - and his team wins in the bottom of the inning. An win and no save, we all know that.

I didn't know if there was any proviso that covered non-consecutive innings. But it happens so rarely I certainly understand there's no need for one. So I thought I'd ask; thanks for the answers, all of you.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

In the Major Leagues, you cannot be the winning pitcher to get a save. That's one of the requirements.

But it's rare that a pitcher will leave the mound in the majors and return later.

I bend the rules a bit here and do award a win and a save. I know it breaks the rules, but the guy earned it.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Couldn't we have just one running baseball scoring questions thread?

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

In high school baseball, you can get the win and the save.
    The (b) rule doesn't work in this situation because the starter became the shortstop or whatever position, then went back to the mound as a reliever. So while he is the same physical player, he is not the same, if that makes sense.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Says who?

Draft saved Draft deleted