1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another argument for the NHL to move at least one team to Canuckistan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, May 30, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

1./3 of all NHL ticket revenues come from guess where? The six Canadian teams.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/433906

The six Canadian teams account for 31 per cent of the $1.1 billion (U.S.) in league ticket revenue, and have gone through league-leading double-digit increases over last season, according to the internal NHL repo

Leafs average close to $2 million per game in tcket sales.

The American Southwest is a great place for hockey:

The most interesting league data may concern the sad-sack Coyotes, who were last in ticket revenue at $450,000. The team is losing more than $30 million a season and was contacted over the past season by six potential buyers, including Balsillie's lawyer, Richard Rodier.

Yeah, Kansas City/Las Vegas is such a great fucking idea.

Paging Smasher Sloane........

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Now stop bashing Mario for not being more open with the press, because the man helped keep the Pens in Pittsburgh.

Oklahoma City Penguins?

Las Vegas State Pens?

3. How much of this is because of the parity between the Canadian and U.S. dollars?

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

If Bettman had his way, the entire freaking league would be in the Sun Belt.

In reality, outside of Minnesota -> Dallas (which was about Norm Green being an idiot), all of the moves to the south have been former WHA teams. The NHL has done nothing to keep the ex-WHA teams solvent, other than help them pack their bags. They tried really, really, really hard to get the Oilers to move to Houston, too.

Why not fold up Nashville, Phoenix, Florida, Anaheim and Carolina and move them to Milwaukee, Hartford, Winnipeg, Quebec City and Kitchener/Waterloo, where there would at least be something resembling a fan base, instead of continuing to try to cram teams in the south, where nobody wants them once the novelty wears off. Maybe even take the Lightning and move them to Saskatoon.

Kansas City might actually work. So might OKC, which at least used to draw 10K+ for its low, low, low minor-league team (but won't have room for both the NBA and NHL, so scratch that). Vegas would be a joke.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can think of a few junior teams that sold over $450,000 in tickets. What a fucking joke.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hell, the crappy minor league team here sold more than that. That's pathetic.

7. Kitchener/Waterloo? Seriously?

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Seriously. Think of the Toronto area's version of the New Jersey Devils. Except with fans. It's almost impossible to buy Leafs tickets ... if any market deserves 2 teams, Toronto does much more than, say, L.A.

Maybe Hamilton instead, but Hamilton isn't the most affluent city and it is pretty close to Buffalo.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow.

I know the Coyotes weren't doing well, but not even I could envision figures that lean. I can't imagine Sunrise and Atlanta are doing much better.

JR, I would assume that if Balsillie can get one of the non-traditional market teams, he would try to move it to Hamilton much the way he wanted to move the Predators?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Colorado's done well with a second chance, so why not Kansas City?

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Cities/States that IMO could say they deserve NHL teams:

Seattle
    Portland, Ore.
    Dakota (North and South Dakota)
    Milwaukee
    Winnipeg
    Hartford
    Hamilton
    Toronto (just kidding)

Areas that should see their hockey teams leave:
    Nashville
    Carolina
    Phoenix
    Washington
    Atlanta
    New Jersey

No chance in hell for Kansas Shitty.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Makes sense to me. Toronto-area could use two teams.

From Phoenix to Nashville, there are a handful of cities that do not need NHL hockey franchises. Hell, there's an NHL team practically playing on South Beach.

Draft saved Draft deleted