1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another 1980s-era NFLer dead: Andra Franklin RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No one is duped.

The NFL usually loses big to baseball in one single aspect... history and statistics, and the public's attachment to it.

Now the NFL benefits, because a) no one cares about the greatest statistical achievers in the sport and b) there has been no obviously juiced QB breaking Marino's marks.... or Jerry Rice's.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

NFL suspends the Chargers' Shawne Merriman for four games, which is like a 40-game baseball suspension. The outcry if an equivalent second-year star (say, Ryan Howard) were to miss that many games would be much greater than that for Merriman.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Excellent point that I didn't hit MLB management boy with.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You gentlemen should check the death rates for NFL players who competed long before steroids were an issue.
    Not many guys die of natural causes at 47.
    Quite a few NFL players do.
    Steve Hubbard broke ground on this subject in the early 90s at the Pittsburgh Press, when many players from the 50s, 60s and 70s were passing ahead of schedule.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't think it has much to do with steroids... as my post stated.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Apples and oranges. Ryan Howard wouldn't get hit for 25 games. He'd get hit for 50 games...just under one-third of the season. So even the MLB punishment is better than the NFL punishment.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course you don't. Rah rah football!

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Has to do with pain medication, you dumb rube.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I would certainly as hell hope so since you are the one who says the NFL "acts" like it has a policy.

Draft saved Draft deleted