1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet again, The Fitchburg (Mass.) Sentinel & Enterprise needs a sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Sep 22, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Via JJobs.com

Company: The Sentinel & Enterprise
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    October 27, 2007
    Job ID: 387666

Description:
    The Sentinel & Enterprise, an award-winning daily newspaper in North Central Massachusetts, has an immediate opening for a sports reporter to work for one of the fastest growing papers in New England. The successful candidate must be aggressive, organized, love talking to people and able to come up with his or her own story ideas. Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter, references, work samples and salary requirements to Ross Edwards, Sports Editor, The Sentinel & Enterprise, 808 Main St., Fitchburg, MA 01420. Please include in the cover letter why you want to work for the Sentinel & Enterprise, and what you can bring to the paper.

When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?Media=Newspapers%2FWires&JobID=387666

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

i can only assume they need another writer is because they flat out dont pay enough. thats why i turned down the job four years ago.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good area, not-so-great paper.

And it's Lean Dean, so they won't pay well.

People have gone on to bigger and better things from here. Most recently, Chris Forsberg went to Boston.com. In the past, people have gone on to be deskers at the Herald.

4. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

If they pay more than $10 an hour, it'll be more than my last job offer :(

5. KP

KP Active Member

Shouldn't Fitchburg just be a running thread?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It kind of is a running joke, the city itself.

(Area around Fitchburg is nice and suburban, for the most part.)

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I applied 3-4 years ago and never made it through the initial screening. Is that a blessing in disguise?

8. KP

KP Active Member

Good rivalry with Leominster, but not much there after that. Good furniture in the area though.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but Fitchburg itself is a fucking hole.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Good furniture? I don't think I've ever heard that on this board before. I'm guessing the gig doesn't pay enough to afford said furniture, though.

And wasn't Chris Forsberg a freelancer or preps guy at the Globe a few years back? Like around the turn of the decade? I think I remember him covering my high school. (Nothing against Chris. I'm sure he's a great guy and he's damn prolific. Just that I wouldn't head to Fitchburg expecting to jump to the Globe unless they already knew me.)

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, Forsberg was a stringer for the Globe when he worked in Fitchburg, too. (Globe generally doesn't cover CMass stuff, and Fitchburg covers nothing in EMass, so there's essentially no overlap.) Probably helped him lead a non-Ramen existence while living there.

12. KP

KP Active Member

Bunch of outlets along Rt. 2 in Gardner.

Draft saved Draft deleted