1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet Again, It's Roswell, NM!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianMcDowell, Mar 1, 2010.

1. I applied for this job too. The e-mail response says that, “The sports reporter starts at $9.50 an hour. It’s a full-time, 40-hours-a-week position. Also, the reporter receives a gasoline allowance check for $90 a month. This is considered reimbursement for miles traveled while working so it is tax-free. So with the $1,080 a year for the gasoline allowance, the total monetary compensation per year comes to about $20,840.”

The ad boasts that they offer “competitive wages.” Teenagers who babysit here in Chicago charge more than that. I don't care how low the cost of living is, that salary is a bad joke. Unless Andrew is actually an attractive woman with a history of sexually harassing male subordinates, I'm not interested.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wow, a whole $90 a month for gas. I get mileage, so that's tax-free as well. Nice try.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

$90 a month for gas would, at 30 cents a mile, pay for 300 miles per month. Unless there's very little driving, that's pathetic.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Two round trips to Carlsbad would eat that up.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Is there ever a reason for a Roswell thread to get to a second page?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

OK, maybe Roswell doesn't want to emerge into the 21st century. Too bad, though.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

WOW. XAN, you are taking a beating for simply offering your experiences there. I am not sure why. Anyways, I appreciated the insight into a place people continually knock on here. It's always nice to get insider info.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because some people still think there's no such thing as a bad job. I don't wish working at terrible newspapers on anyone, but some folks need to realize that you have to set limits, even in this profession.

9. Songbird

I don't know if you're beating me or Roswell's audacity to pay so little.

I still say it's a GREAT place to carve out your niche if you want complete freedom of your section.

Roswell's boys hoopers won the 4A state title yesterday, their second in 3 years after going something, like 30 years without one. Goddard football always competes for state titles in 4A. The city is a girls volleyball hotbed. Same with boys soccer. Then you have the whole NMMI military experience, high school and juco. And 6-man football! The pay is shit, but it's a great place to own the beat.

10. Songbird

Yeah, desk, god forbid some out-of-work journalist takes the Roswell job and stays for a couple of years and then moves up to a bigger, better paper.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Sure, that worked a while ago. But how many bigger better jobs are going to be out there in 2012?

12. Songbird

Your guess is as good as mine. But it is a way to stay in the game if you love the game. The face of the industry is going to be vastly different in 2 years. More and more companies are going Web-first, real-time reporting. It's happening at light-speed. Our company has taken that approach, and there is no turning back. I hear other papers/companies are adopting the same attitude. Let's face it, the future is now. Digital. Two years from now, there might be a clarion call for digital-savvy reporters/SE's who can augment Web with print.

That's why I say Roswell is a good place to find that Web/print niche.

Draft saved Draft deleted