1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet Again, It's Roswell, NM!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianMcDowell, Mar 1, 2010.

1. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

I know that you all will consider this shocking and amazing, but according to www.journalismjobs.com , there is a job opening in Roswell, New Mexico....

The Roswell Daily Record, an award-winning, independent daily newspaper in southeastern New Mexico with a circulation of about 11,000, is seeking a reporter to cover sports in the area. Candidates for the sports position should possess strong writing skills, be familiar with sports terminology, have associated computer skills and able to meet deadlines. The successful applicant must be able to write quickly and concisely, take digital photographs and design pages. Experience in covering high school sports is a big plus. We’re looking for an aggressive reporter who can provide play-by-play information, place games in the larger context and break down the statistics. The position offers competitive wages, medical benefits, a gasoline allowance and compensation for travel outside the immediate area. Interested applicants should contact Andrew Poertner, editor, Roswell Daily Record, at editor@roswell-record.com, by fax at (575) 625-0421 or send mail to: Andrew Poertner, Roswell Daily Record, PO Box 1897, Roswell, NM 88202. No phone calls please. All applications should include a letter of interest, resume, writing samples and references.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This probably is the same opening from last month.

3. Should have known ... time for another oil change.

4. bl67550

bl67550 Member

OK seriously, is this due to lack of interest, or frequent hiring/firings? I haven't been on this board long but I've seen this posted at least four times. I'm sure there are journalists willing to take this job regardless of the area or situation.

5. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

I applied for the second time. Times are tough. I could use the gig.

Brian McDowell

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do places like this, Martinsville and Marietta get a discount on their ads by leaving them up year round?

7. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I applied last time around and got an email that said the starting wage was not negotiable and no moving expenses were available. The pay was below 10-per hour. If I had just gotten out of school nearby, maybe. Anyone with experience probably sees that as insulting - at least I did.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, it has been a while since the Trentonian made the rounds. Maybe JRC can't afford the ads anymore.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've seen some ads in the past where pay was $9/hour.

Figure at 40 hours, it's about $360/week. That translates to a $18,720 (which is low compared to most newspaper standards). I interviewed in neighboring Artesia, NM a long time ago. I forget what the salary was, but it was definitely under $20K.

And, I believe, this job was just posted last month. So this is likely a reposting.

10. dracula

dracula New Member

I considered applying until I found out what the job paid. I wouldn't take a pay cut to live in Roswell.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dear Lord. There are bus drivers in a neighboring town striking because they only make $9.50/hour.

12. At that wage and no moving expenses, this job posting would seem to be a classic example of ``you get what you pay for''.

Draft saved Draft deleted