1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yesterday's awkward journalism moment of the day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

OK, a few things. I'm 22 and still learning the ropes. This was my first crying athlete moment. And calling her a girl, Jesus, I'm sorry, she's a lady, a woman, whatever.

The her being attractive thing was unnecessary and I was just trying to paint a picture that if she was a friend of mine, I would've comforted her with a hug. But I didn't hug her or touch her. Sorry SJers, there's my formal apology for everything in my post. Christ.

2. Sometimes that happens, yeah.

But this business does have a way of jading you.

Completely agree. Now that I'm on the other side of 40. Not sure I understood the effects that this business has on stripping the humanity away when I was younger.

Then again, I may just have been a self-centered fuck when I was in my 20s. That's always possible.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It does sound condescending when a 22-year-old is wondering if he should comfort someone older than him. And it's not your job to make a subject feel better about themselves. Just ask smart questions and not some douchebag one such as "Now that you've lost all hope for making the LPGA, how do you feel?"

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't think it sounds condescending at all. It sounds human.
    Is comfort limited to the person upset being younger than the one who would offer comfort?
    You're right. It isn't his job. But if you're so cold that you can't believe someone would offer support after a spontenaous display of emotion, you aren't only in the wrong business, you're in the wrong species.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with connecting emotionally during an interview. To the contrary, if you DON'T connect emotionally at some point, you're going to get the same dull standard cliches over and over. People make fun of Babs Walters, but she's the perfect example of how to get someone in the heart while remaining professional. You can be warm and personal without being overtly protective.

It just seemed from the original post that the awkwardness was more about a crying cute 8 than a crying athlete...two completely different issues.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

21, I can assure you my intentions were that the awkwardness was about a crying athlete. I was trying to (unnecessarily, I suppose) paint the picture that I didn't know how to handle the situation and she happened to be attractive. In hindsight, it was a totally unnecessary fact. Sorry... live and learn.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So how did the story turn out? Did you mention that she was visibly upset?

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

"I feel so terrible that I won't be on the LPGA Tour," the tearful hottie said. :)

9. I know I was, but as I've gotten older and learned some of life's valuable lessons, I've also learned to put the self-centered side to rest. My days of being a prick to get a story are over. I could care less if I get that type of story ever again. Yeah it makes for big headlines and people like to talk about it ... but it comes with a price and a cost. Two things that I don't think are worth it anymore.

Life's lessons change your attitude about a lot of things. Treating people like people or treating them better shouldn't be a problem anytime, anywhere in any profession.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought about it. But I only had a couple of questions to ask the girl, figuring that I wanted to leave her alone to cry. I didn't feel like making a scene in front of everybody else. After all, it was girls high school basketball.

11. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

No, the worst part was that my story was about how little money they make and how they bring in extra income in the off-season. I didn't even want to ask her questions about the tournament, but thought it would be strange to ask her about working at a golf retailer in the winter right as she's walking off the course after a three-day tournament.

I didn't use the information, because I never intended to do so.

12. It comes with a price and a cost? That's expensive. :)

If that was true, there would be no such thing as television news directors. Or Frank Magid & Associates.

Draft saved Draft deleted