1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yesterday's awkward journalism moment of the day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 25, 2008.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I have never interviewed a crying athlete. There's never been one around, I guess. I have interviewed a crying coach. In all cases, it was the same woman after the last game of a few different basketball seasons. She just loved coaching so much that she never wanted her seasons to end.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I've interviewed a number of crying athletes. It's always reflected in my story, as well.

"said so-and-so, while trying to fight back tears" or something along those lines.

I just say "take your time." Or, "don't worry, this won't be in the paper." :D

3. Also the first scene in my next Cinemax screenplay.

But, seriously, folks. First and foremost, this is a person we're talking about here. We can argue about whether calling her a "girl" or opining about her level of attractiveness is appropriate or creepy or whatever, but, at the end of the day, if you can't be human to another human...well, let's just say that I'm the most jaded mofo you'd want to meet and even I would feel badly for this person.

Just say "It's okay, I understand this is difficult for you and if you need a moment, totally cool." I figure they'd appreciate it. She may technically be a professional athlete, but the young ones haven't always learned how to talk about the three interceptions or the Tony Romo moment with aplomb. I understand that.

But as a JournoBot 3000, I'd say "I'm at least glad somebody is showing some real emotion," because one of the reasons I got out of the business full-time was because I got tired of putting the microphone in the face of the (seemingly) same athletes who would recite the same cliches ad nauseum and I'd say to myself "Why am I still doing this? This is the same thing the last guy said last week, last month, last year."

Emotion like this golfer displayed - real, raw, genuine human emotion, is rare in the sporting arena, and while it is awkward, yes, it sure makes for a great story, doesn't it? (Or, it should.) I would think people (maybe not most golf people, if they're stereotypically rich, but most average people) could identify with someone who had a big chance in life and, for whatever reason, didn't come through and now they're looking at some very, very real life-changing decisions or consequences to that.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really much prefer to talk to players who can talk in monosyllables or sputter monotonous cliches.
    Really easier for everyone all around.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dude, making people cry is why I got into journalism.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Ahh family reunion softball games ... :D

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If any coach or player is having a hard time composing themselves, I ask them if they need a minute. Or I have the foresight to just back off until emotions have cooled off.

A good rule of thumb is not to look at female competitors as little girls who need comforting. I think you garner a lot more respect in their eyes if you do your damn job and treat them as equals.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As to your first paragraph: sometimes they don't cool off and you have to go in and get your interview.

As to your second graph: Yes.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's my teammate ... my quarterback.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm going to have nightmares.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Some of you guys will change your minds about being such hard-ass, inconsiderate, unsympathetic jerks when you get a little older.

The more life you live, the more you learn to respect it. Treating people like objects so you can do your job is hardly the right thing to do.

Again, have empathy, understanding, be sympathetic and compassionate with any athlete in a moment that brings them to tears. You'll reap the rewards in more ways than just your job and you'll like yourself a lot more.

There are many benefits to being understanding.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You should have been like, let the Shermanator make it up to you tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted