1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yesterday's awkward journalism moment of the day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

"I'm doing a feature story on how these girls are only making $10,000 to $25,000 for the year..."

You know, even if they're not making that much money, they're not girls. Women, ladies, gals, chicks... even if they cry a lot, are still professional athletes. Girls in high school, women in college and beyond. Yes, there are a few pro women golfers who are under 18, but don't be infantilize them all.

Pet peeve of mine. Fire away.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

At the first gamer I ever wrote, the coach cried.

I can remember two other times I have seen coaches (10+ years coaching) openly weep to me after they lost a game.

Those are the three I remember. As far as players go, countless.

You handled it the way I would have. Treat males and females the same; just give them a moment or two to cry.

Oh, don't touch.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

While covering high school girls golf, I had to wait for the reigning champion to stop crying to interview her. After she stopped sobbing on the 18th green, she told me, "I guess God has a different plan for me." Really, different than winning a city golf title? Wow.

Funny thing is she was a bitch to the other golfers, including the girl who won.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Also works that way in life. The more you treat people the way they want to be treated, the better treatment you usually get in return.

5. VictoryGallop

VictoryGallop Member

Not that it really matters, but was the golfer Ashley Prange? I remember her winning big break a few years ago, and I actually thought there were three or four better (and one definitely hotter) players on that season. Or maybe that other pixie blonde from an earlier series? She seems more the bawling type. Ashley Prange strikes me as more likely to just whack you upside the head if she doesn't like a question ...

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sweet lord...

I'm just waiting for a few certain people to read that post.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

8. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

No, wasn't her.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A couple of questions:

How old was this very very cute girl? Nine? Twelve? Fourteen? You mentioned it was a pro women's tournament.

What would you have done if she hadn't been an 8? What if she had been a 2?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Had it happen at a state HS basketball tournament. I was covering the team that lost. Star player got hurt during the game and ended it sitting on the bench by herself with an ice pack on her knee and crying.

I gave her a few moments, interviewed the coach and other players (some crying, some not). I gave her a little more time, then decided, the hell with it, and went over to interview her. She was quotable.

The thing I ended up finding funny was that there were other reporters at the game, and they all, like me, were feeling awkward about going up to interview her. Once I approached her, it was like a signal to the others that it was OK to come interview her. Before I knew it, there were four other reporters around us.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

To state it less eloquently than 21 did, you ARE a fucking douchebag and a creep for this statement. How disrespectful.

If I was your editor, and I read this conversation, you'd be writing Little League gamers for a year.

12. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

She was 23 or so. I didn't hug her or touch her and she was an 8. I would have done the same thing if she was a 2--nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted